Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaws.... Laguna SUV or used MM16?

bandsaws.... Laguna SUV or used MM16?

Hobbyist in the bandsaw market. Now that the SUV has been out for a few years, what are the long term impressions?

For the same price (+ an 8 hour drive each way) I could get a late model used MM16.

Any thoughts? Most of the info I find on the web seems to be several years old. The Laguna rep offered me nothing as an incentive to buy a new saw, and I can't say I really liked talking to him. Instead of promoting his lines, he spent about 30 minutes of my life talking trash about MM.

If I did get a Laguna I would be getting it through my local Woodcraft, which I do like a lot.

Don't think I am going the new MM16 route, but the MM rep did offer some money off and some free blades.

When comparing the MM16 and the LT16HD, I find it interesting that the Laguna went up $1000 in the last couple years, while the MM16 went up about $300.

Any advice?
    Last edited by ted andersen; 11-09-2013 at 9:06 AM.

i have a mm20 and a laguna suv 14" both great saws but the mm20 is nicer built like a tank the laguna is a great saw also but if i had to choose one it would be the mm20

I can only endorse the MM16, as I have one, and it is an amazing saw, but no experience with the Laguna.

I am very, very happy/satisfied with my Laguna HD 16. I've had it for about 5 years.

I have an MM16 now, sold an LT16 to buy the MM. I am much happier with the MM. Ditto to the above...the MM is a tank, very solid and smooth.

Thanks all for the input folks. I think I will try to pick up the used MM16, it is a 2007 model.

I looked at the Laguna HD 16, as it appears to be very comparable to the MM16, and some older threads made it seem they cost the same ($2500 in 2011). However, while a new MM16 would currently run about $3k delivered, the HD16 will be more like $4k.

picked up the MM16

just a follow up, I decided to get the used MM16. Actually it is a 2007 model that never had a blade installed or power put to it. A long drive but I am happy with the decision.

anyone with blade advice, please PM or reply. First order of business is a resaw blade. Good sources?

i use morse carbide 3T for resawing 6+" (3/4" blade would be fine), for up 6" i use a 1/2" blade 3/4T.

there are lots of threads talking about bandsaw blades here.

I like Carbide blades for resawing.. They just keep going and going ... Right now I have a Woodmaster CT .. Replaced a Tri-Master .. Tri-Master lasted years.

Good luck with it, Ted. I have the 14SUV, and although I like it generally (attachment of the Driftmaster fence is awful, but I think the newer design fixed that), I have been lusting after an MM16 or MM20 for the past few years.

Enjoy your new saw.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Take the one that offers delivery.

What's your time worth?

Quote Originally Posted by ted andersen View Post
    anyone with blade advice, please PM or reply. First order of business is a resaw blade. Good sources?
    Give Lenox a call. They actually answer the phone and are very helpful.

Congrats! I run a 1" Lenox tri-master carbide for re-sawing on my MM16. No experience with other brands for re-sawing but very happy with the Lennox.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'll echo high marks for my MM16. For resawing I use the Lennox Tri-Master 1". For blades smaller than 1/4" check out "Sammy Blocks" idea from MM's Sam Blasco.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...8-Sammy-blocks

after several years with a lennox blade i tried the laguna resaw king (1") and found it superior - seems to last longer and easier sawing. laguna customer service on blades has been xceptional.
    used on a mm16.
    jerry
    jerry