Thread: Power Buffer

Power Buffer

I Build all types of furniture & am getting tired of hand buffing wax as a final step. What Power Buffer do you like for this final step? Can the buffers sold by the auto supply outlets be used?

TIA for the input.

Power Buffer

Dale,

You probably already have the best power buffer available, a random orbital sander.

I engrave lots of plaques. I use the 3M scotch pads on my ROS with plenty of johnson's paste wax and it works better than any pro buffer you can buy.

Use the brown pad with wax to level the surface. Use the white with wax for the final buffing. You can reduce an hours worth of work to a few minutes. My PC 333 ROS has a velcro pad and it sticks to the 3M pad perfectly. I own four of the PC 333's two have varible speed and I use one of these for buffing as it gives me a little more control. If you use an old fashioned cloth baby diaper under the 3M pad for the final pass you can even polish to a mirror finsh that looks two inches deep. Most of the plaques I make are satin finish so I stop buffing with the white 3M pad.