Thread: Byrd Helical Head

Byrd Helical Head

I've read a couple of threads on this already, but would like recent input.

I would be purchasing the helical head for my DeWalt D733 (compatible with the 734) planer, mostly for sound reduction (read: very cranky neighbor). If previous threads are to be believed, noise reduction levels are on the order of 10 decibels. Has this been your experience?

Clearly, the other benefits will be nice as well, but they aren't as much of a deciding factor. I just want to keep working wood without the town inspectors showing up every time.

Any and all input appreciated.

JC

My DW735 is MUCH quieter. Went from a screaming banshee to something you can actually stand next to.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can't speak to the DeWalt, but we put Byrd heads on the jointer and planer in the shop I work at (big iron machines..Whitney and Oliver) and the noise reduction was amazing.

Blog Entries
    I agree the noise reduction is significant BUT, the motor on your DeWalt 733 is a screamer (I used to have a DW734) and you may not get the benefit of larger induction motor equipped machines. Its like a muffler for a shop-vac; it cuts the air-noise but, the motor is still a screamer so you really don't notice ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree, if it's anything like my Delta 12.5" planer. That motor is terribly noisy. I live in the country and it didn't occur to me about neighbors!! Are you planing outside??

Yes, the universal motor is a screamer, but it's a higher pitch than the planing activity itself and the sound doesn't carry like the sound of planing wood does. With hearing protection, I don't mind it, but like I said, this decision isn't so much for me in the shop as it is to kill the sound leaving the shop. I'm not planing outside. I keep the gar-shop door closed always, and when I had to replace it (the door) due to a hailstorm, I forwent 'stylish' doors and got the most insulated one I could find. I'm thinking the sound will change from a propeller-like banging to more of a buzz. Best analogy I could think of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Caff View Post
    I'm thinking the sound will change from a propeller-like banging to more of a buzz. Best analogy I could think of.
    Good analogy. The motor noise aside, the cutter head roar does become a sort of a buzz.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The helical heads are unquestionably quieter but the uneven banging or putt- putt sound is due to inferior knives.

I really need to get these for my jointer and planer. I get that 'putt putt' sound from my planer. Sometimes on the jointer.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I'd like to get it for my jointer but I won't do it on my current 6 inch model. I'll do it when I upgrade to 8 inches.

plus one on the noise reduction- I installed one on my Jet 15" Night and Day difference both in noise and quality of finish- BTW 10dB is dramatic - 3dB is considered to be 1/2 ( or 2x ) as loud. (On a side note- rule of thumb for stereos is you need roughly 10 x's the power to be twice as loud)
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

12. I installed the accu-head in my Ridgid TP1300 planer and the main difference in noise is the fact I no longer have an air raid siren with the dust collector hooked up and running!
    Other than that the only reduction in noise I noticed was while it was planing the wood.

Replacing the head will make it quieter but you still have a planer with a universal motor. I'd sell it and replace with a 15in planer with an induction motor and a byrd head. My neighbor complained about the noise I was making and I replaced a 13 in delta planer and a dewalt tablesaw, both with very loud universal motors with larger machines with induction motors. Night and day difference. I also went byrd head for jointer and planer. That is also makes a huge difference. The other big change was replacing garage door with the thickest insulated door I could find. I also always close the door when using any machine. Loudest tool is now dust collector and routers. With the door closed I can stand 10 feet away and can barely hear the running machines. Obviously none of these changes were cheap. Good luck.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 11-08-2013 at 4:35 PM.

This thread interests me greatly as I dislike loud noises enough that buying a helical head for noise reduction sounds like a great idea to me. However, I want to offer one correction.

Quote Originally Posted by hank dekeyser View Post
    plus one on the noise reduction- I installed one on my Jet 15" Night and Day difference both in noise and quality of finish- BTW 10dB is dramatic - 3dB is considered to be 1/2 ( or 2x ) as loud. (On a side note- rule of thumb for stereos is you need roughly 10 x's the power to be twice as loud)
    You're getting the units and scale a bit mixed up here. A change of one Bel (10 deci-Bels) in sound pressure level (loudness, sort of) will be perceived by the statistically average observer as being either twice or half as loud, depending on which direction you're going. In other words, if you're playing music at 70dB and increase the volume to 80dB, the average observer will say you doubled the volume of the music So in that sense, 10dB is half or twice as loud. However, a change of 3dB in loudness requires half or twice as much power. So if you're using 5W to play music at 70dB, increasing to 10W only pushes you up to 73dB, which most people won't interpret as much louder. Where your "twice as loud is 10x the power" rule of thumb comes from is that 10dB (a doubling in perceived loudness) is just a bit more than 3dB+3dB+3dB (aka 9dB). An increase of 10x is just a little more than 3 doublings (2^3), which is 8. So 10x more power is perceived to be about twice as loud.

Sounds like you might have checked it out already but the DW734 head only fits on the type 2 DW733 machines and it's not known if it fits all of them. We usually ask customers to verify the DW734 drawing before purchasing. If you've done all that already then you should be good to go.