Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Darn, there's goes more money to the Valley

Have you used the aluminum bevel up spokeshave LV sells, Chris? I seem to remember you having one, and I wonder what the end grain performance and minimum radius is on that. I usually use a broad chisel bevel down for that sort of work; but I'd like to grab a wooden or wooden-style shave for smoothing out compound curves.

If you've worked with a few different shaves, you should snap us a Derek-style shootout after you get some work with the mujingfangs!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Have you used the aluminum bevel up spokeshave LV sells, Chris? I seem to remember you having one, and I wonder what the end grain performance and minimum radius is on that. I usually use a broad chisel bevel down for that sort of work; but I'd like to grab a wooden or wooden-style shave for smoothing out compound curves.

If you've worked with a few different shaves, you should snap us a Derek-style shootout after you get some work with the mujingfangs!
    Yes, I have the Veritas LA shave. I'm a REALLY big fan of it, especially for the price. That thing greases through end grain curves like nobodies business. With the toe flipped sometimes the radius is tight enough for what I want to do but often it isn't. Also, prefer to just keep it setup as a flat sole, its kinda annoying to be switching it back and forth all the time.

Actually, I just got the LV mini shave too (full disclosure statement: the mini was given to me by the R&D folks at LV). I would have never thought for a second to buy that thing, but its really really nice. It's tiny but it can do some serious work...really mind blowing how well it works.

Anyway, I'd be happy to post something highlight the difference in the shave I have, but I don't have the any of the full size LV BD ones nor do I have the Boggs shaves, or any shave other than what has already been mentioned in this thread so I may not be the right person to do a "shootout" . I'll see if I can't post some type of useful information though.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

That might be a be much to ask anyway, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the Mujingfang contour plane shaves when you get to playing with them. I'd loan you my LV bevel down shaves to try, but in theory I've got to finish up some work with them.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    That might be a be much to ask anyway, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the Mujingfang contour plane shaves when you get to playing with them. I'd loan you my LV bevel down shaves to try, but in theory I've got to finish up some work with them.
    Sure I'll post something about the contour planes. One of these day's I'll probably by the flat and convex LV BD shaves, and/or a Boggs....or maybe one of each.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    With the toe flipped sometimes the radius is tight enough for what I want to do but often it isn't. Also, prefer to just keep it setup as a flat sole, its kinda annoying to be switching it back and forth all the time.
    Sounds like one of my typical reasons to have two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)