Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite straight edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    I bought a Woodpecker precision strait edge with ruler. It was not cheap, but I love it and use it all the time. I keep it in the HD tube it arrived in.

http://www.woodpeck.com/serx36.html
    Sure wish you hadnt given me that link. Now Im going to want one. Ive been trying to avoid the temptation of WP. Now, Im probably lost.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I have this one hanging on a nail on the wall and go to it all the time. Good price, fairly light, and does a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    +1
    I could not slip a .002 shim anywhere along its length using my milling machine's 48" table as a reference.
    I also like that it will stand up by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I have this one hanging on a nail on the wall and go to it all the time. Good price, fairly light, and does a great job.
    I have the 50" aluminum as well...no complaints, I was able to adjust my tools to a whole new level, I got their feeler gauge set as well

A Starrett 48" steel scale. I've had this "straight edge" since 1968, 45 years!

Someone already said it but it is worth repeating. Whatever brand you choose, never use it for anything but a reference. Never let anyone else borrow it. Don't drop it or stress it in any way that would create the slightest bend. I was skeptical about aluminum, but I have taken good care of my Veritas and it is as accurate today as it was 10 years ago when I bought it.

I use a box beam level, 6', made by Bostitch. I took feeler gauges to the store and tested a few of them (they had four in stock) and was satisfied that they were straight enough for any wood I do. I was just it last night to check work from my jointer. I only use it in the shop, never for any carpentry work.

My favorite is a Starrett #380 4' straight edge. It wasn't cheap, but then again neither is the equipment I use it to set up

My most often used straight edge is a 1" x 4" x 8' aluminum rectangular tube. Significantly cheaper than the Starrett and it can withstand day to day use and abuse without worry. It's not as accurate as a precision straight edge, but it's plenty accurate for what I need it for

JeffD

Eurekazone extruded tracks, hands down. Have three of them and have laid them across granite countertops and the deflection is almost nonexistent. barely a sliver of light comes through. They're straight as I need and the fact that they guide circ saw and router is nothing but a plus. If you can mark a line, you can split it with the saw.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Reviving an old post since I am in the market for one.

Did the recommendations for the ones in the posts changed
    and are there new options to consider?

Thank you.

I have a 36" Woodpeckers Straight Edge/Ruler. It currently sells for $66 (or a 24" version for $50). I don't know the specs on it but as far as I can determine it is a very precise and accurate straight edge as well as a ruler. I have never had a problem with the result when I've used it as a straight edge or ruler.

I have been using this for awhile and it works fine for tool setup, etc. I can’t verify its accuracy but tool set up results are fine for woodworking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Aluminum...8AAOSwo6lWMsGo

It is also available on Amazon at the same price.

I have a full set of the steel rules/straight edges from Lee Valley plus a 40" one from Woodcraft that is similar. They all are dual Metric/Imperial which is important to my work since "my" work is all in metric now, but some client work isn't
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just got a Lee Valley 50" straight edge. This is my first "real" straight edge. I am not sure how straight it truly is but it worked great to set my jointer.

Thanks guys, I just wonder if a 36-40” is long enough to set up a
    jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Smith View Post
    Thanks guys, I just wonder if a 36-40” is long enough to set up a
    jointer.
    That is plenty long enough

Starrett 385-24 is good enough for checking flat on my bench, and it helped me flatten my old Stanleys (5-1/2 and Bed Rock 607). I also use it to check boards after the jointer and/or the 607. I tried to pretend it was helping me adjust my jointer tables, but no amount of clever engineering seemed to be able to make that happen. I think I got close, though.

I made two support blocks to let the 385-24 stand on its bevel edge. The blocks are about 3” high, with a 3” wide face (perpendicular to the length of the straightedge) and about 1-1/2” thick. Each block has a slit part way up the middle of the face, just wide of the straightedge’s thickness. They have made using the edge hands-free.

I sat in wait for this $170 tool until I saw it pop up for $140, and I pounced.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 01-20-2020 at 12:32 AM.