Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your favorite straight edge?

I have this in 24" and 38" purchased through AMAZON.

POWERTEC 71115 Aluminum Straight Edge, 38"

For me, the 36" WP seems to work fine for my long-bed 8" jointer, but it is newer and has not had time to have the table sag, if that ever happens. Sometimes it just depends on what gives you piece of mind; maybe longer is better for some. As long as my jointer is giving the results I expect, I believe the 36" is OK.

Blog Entries
    Or a long carpenter's level will work, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Or a long carpenter's level will work, just saying.
    That is what I was thinking but according to the wood whisperer for setting up a jointer a level does not offer the needed accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Smith View Post
    That is what I was thinking but according to the wood whisperer for setting up a jointer a level does not offer the needed accuracy.
    It does if it's straight.

One thing I discovered after I bought my 36" steel straight edge from Lee Valley was that all the cheap stuff that I had been using prior, was perfectly straight and capable. My 40 year old Craftsman 48" and 78" aluminum levels are straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    My 40 year old Craftsman 48" and 78" aluminum levels are straight.
    Maybe in zero gravity.

Blog Entries
    Look here, you can pick one up today.
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/straight%2520edge?NCNI-5

I have the Swanson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    I have a steel 24" straight edge that has a slight bow to it, and it's bugged me for 25 years. This is the type that's about 1/8" thick and one edge is beveled. I can get a "machinist's" version of the same thing, accurate to .001 over its length, from McMaster for about $115 or $64 without the bevel. I know that's overkill for woodworking, but reference tools should be dead on IMO.

A carpenter's square doesn't stand on edge, and plastic rules are too easily dinged. What do you guys use?
    A happen to have 24" Starrett blade from a combo square for shorter needs. I also have an 8 foot Sta-bil(sp?) level for longer needs