Thread: Salad Anyone???

Salad Anyone???

I've been laid up and off my feet for the past 2 months with a fractured calcaneous (heel bone) and crushed soft tissue of the ankle because of a little disagreement I had with gravity!!! I used to jump from airplanes in the army and never even twisted an ankle.....but that was 44 years ago!!!

So, it was good to be able to get back to my shop and carve out a few salad bowls from some BLM stock I sort of fell into. All were rough turned a year ago and finished this week. Taken to 600 grit and then treated with a single coat of General Salad Bowl Finish. Sanded again to 600 grit and then 2 applications of BeeKeepers Gold (bees wax and mineral oil).

First Bowl is 13.5" dia
    bowls 001.jpgbowls 004.jpg
    Second Bowl is 13.5" dia
    bowls 009.jpgbowls 012.jpg
    Third Bowl is 12.5" dia
    bowls 016.jpgbowls 014.jpg

C&C's are welcomed!

Mike, nice bowls, very well done and they let the great looking wood speak for itself.

Georgeous wood and shapes--very nice.

Nice looking bowls. It is good when you get back on your feet after being restricted for several weeks.

Each one different, but each with it's own unique features! Spalting in the first, burl in the 2nd and a cool shape for the 3rd, very nice indeed!

lovely trio
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Well done on form and finish, a very nice threesome.

Nice wood! Number 3 is my favorite.

Won't that first one be a little tippy for mixing and tossing salad? The center of gravity is raised with that foot, and it's a bit small for my taste. For practicality, I prefer the 3rd. Nice job.

Well, the BLM acronym has me stumped. What is it?
    Bowls look great, and glad the hoof is gettin' well.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Well, the BLM acronym has me stumped. What is it?
    Bowls look great, and glad the hoof is gettin' well.
    Bill
    Big Leaf Maple

Richard - the one on the pedestal meets my stability tests. I looked at that with the idea that I would cut it off in case it was unstable. It's got good weight to it and my wife wanted to keep it rather than allow me to sell it!!!

Thanks, Mike