Thread: My new vicmarc lathe!

My new vicmarc lathe!

I recently got a Vl300 bench mount from woodworker's emporium in LV and had it delivered to my work. I made the stand and got a 2 hp Baldor motor with a Teco VFD to drive it. I'am very impressed with the quality of the lathe and I got it just before a $200 price increase! I also got a VM100 chuck to go with it.

My 096.jpegMy 097.jpegMy 098.jpegMy 099.jpegMy 100.jpegMy 104.jpegMy 105.jpeg

congratulations, you will enjoy it this winter

Well done you wont be disappointed and the bench mount is the way to go as its the best price on these quality lathes.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Congrats on your new lathe Simon! Looking forward to hearing how you like using it!! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really nice well made lathe--great.

Congratulation. It looks like you have already got it dusty. Way to go.

Very cool. Seems like a lot of professional turners use vicmarc lathes but I don't hear them mentioned much on the forums.

Now that's a gloat !!!!!! Very nice and sounds like a good drive system,what pulley combination are you running.I'm just getting the beginning drive set-up on my Union Graduate.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Congrats for dealing with some of the nicest folks in the world. Christian and Jerri are great people, and they're selling some great tools. If you want to hear a great story, ask Christian about the woodturner in North Africa that he met...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have never seen one of those live, it looks like a great machine. Just curious but where is the motor located?
    Fred

Congratulations, it is a great lathe. It is what I learned on and now own a VL300 long bed. You will have many enjoyable hours on it.

Dan, I don't think you here anything on the forums about these lathes because most of the time you hear of problems someone is having with their lathe. You just don't have problems with these lathes. My mentor has estimated that he has turned over 30,000 bowls on his over the last 20 years (his estimate and mostly rough turning - see roughoutbowls.com). He has never had to replace bearings, no motor issues, no issues whatsoever, everything is still original. That is why you see professionals use these machines, simply the toughest no nonsense machine available on the market IMHO.

I have had Vicmarc VL175 since 2007 and it just works! They are great lathes; I don't think you'll ever regret making that decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    I have never seen one of those live, it looks like a great machine. Just curious but where is the motor located?
    under the top shelf on the stand007.jpg008.jpg011.jpg012.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images