Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a laptop

Buying a laptop

If you were going to buy a new laptop, Who would be your first choice retailer to buy from?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Assuming a PC, no one but Dell. Dell offers in home service in 1-2 days. Everyone else that I know of you send it off maybe for weeks. Or worse, the geek squad messes with it.

I've always bought direct from Dell. I've had good luck with their machines. I've bought my last few from the "Dell Outlet". Typically, these are machines that were purchased and returned. You don't have as much flexibility on the specs, but you can get some good deals if they have what you want.

Blog Entries
    I would buy an ASUS laptop. I've had mine for 2 years with zero problems. It has worked flawlessly from day one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Apple.

Sorry, I'm a Mac guy. Gotta be one in the crowd right?
    In the 16+ years I've been using a Mac Laptop daily, I've never, knock on wood, needed to have one fixed or had to take it back. The batteries used to be kinda crappy with Mac's, but they've been better the last few years.
    My G3 Wall street, 1997, is still being used today in a silkscreen shop.
    My 17" power book, 2001 lasted until Mac finally obsoleted all of their legacy software and switched to an Intel processor. it still works but the battery life is really short now and after market batteries are wicked expensive.
    I've had my current 15" Mac Book Pro for about 2 years now. it's nice.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-01-2013 at 9:05 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

+1 for apple.
    My iBook g4 took was a great laptop for several years. My wife now has a 2010 MacBook Air and I have an iPad, which covers quite a bit of my needs. I buy direct from Apple.
    I have a 5 year old Hp EliteBook at work, which has survived several drops, being offshore, dust storms and a cup of coffee. If I were to buy a PC, instead of a Mac, it would probably be an HP EliteBook. Newegg.com seems to be a good place for all things PC.
    Duc in altum!

Since you were asking for retailer suggestions, not brand....
    Staples.....
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-01-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

While our current laptop is a Toshiba given to us by one of our children, I would buy a Dell.

I am working from a Dell desktop....and before my retirement the large corporation who employed me, deployed Dell laptops more often than any other brand. We had others....IBM......Toshiba for short periods of time but eventually we ended up coming back to Dell.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used to be a Microsoft person but they crashed too often. Gave up and went Mac and their security is better. I have an IMac but my wife has had her laptop Macbook Pro for several years now and loves it. And there's a lot of help at the local Apple store for whatever it is that you can't figure out. The ease of syncing with her Iphone is nice. It's at least a consideration. It's worth taking a trip to the local Apple store to check it out before you go the other route.

+1 for Staples - they'd be my first choice. I like their rebate system.

Second choice would be Wally World. They can have some real killer deals on Dell.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Apple

Although more expensive up front the longevity of their machines provides the best value IMO. Apple has first class tech support as well.

He asked for retailer, so, assuming you know what you want, then buy it new, from the cheapest source. Include Walmart, BestBuy, Amazon, whoever can get you the best price. Don't pay for a warranty - these machines are disposable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    He asked for retailer, so, assuming you know what you want, then buy it new, from the cheapest source. Include Walmart, BestBuy, Amazon, whoever can get you the best price. Don't pay for a warranty - these machines are disposable.
    +1 for what Pat said. These days computers are more like a commodity for the most part. If you are like most of us, your computing needs are pretty basic, surf the web, check your email, and maybe do some photo editing or even use Sketchup a bit. All these things can be done quite well with the most basic low end computer. Why spend thousands, when a few hundred will do the same job? I bought my last 2 or 3 computers at Walmart or Tigerdirect at rock bottom prices. True they probably do not last as long, so you will need to replace them a little more often. But for me, being sort of a gadget junkie, this is actually a good thing. That way I can justify getting a new computer more often!
    Just my 2 cents.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you were going to buy a new laptop, Who would be your first choice retailer to buy from?
    Dave, if I recall correctly, you're in or near Cincinnati? If so, I'd certainly check here:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/sharonville.aspx

They carry P.C.s and Apple products. The store in the Philly area has 2 or 3 times the laptop inventory of any other retailer I know of.

Yes. Micro Center is a great place to do business. I just bought a desktop there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night