Thread: CVMAX Nordfab duct install thread...

CVMAX Nordfab duct install thread...

Hey guys!

My ductwork came in on Friday and my CVMAX was delivered yesterday. Yesterday my friend and I mounted the CVMAX. It took much longer than I was hoping. A few pieces simply didn't fit in spite of them being machined by CNC. I had to modify these components. The 90 degree filter transition being one. I can't remember the other. I think it was the opening that accepts the filter transition.

I still have to securely fasten the blower housing to the mounting brackets after I leveled it with shims. My wall is quite out of plumb.

So today I started to install the Nordfab duct work. All by myself today so I'm using a long furring strip with a V notch at the top to help bear the weight as well as to assist in leveling when fastening the branches to the wall.

You'll notice that the CVMAX is a left hand unit and I have it running from left to right as if it were a right handed unit. This is where my 220V circuit for the cyclone is. I really wanted the cyclone here. Maybe one day I'll regret it. I hope not. It's quite difficult to have to try to think of absolutely everything. I probably should've put the cyclone toward the front of the shop. Less distance to travel when emptying the bin. But I preferred to have it away from the lumber rack as I plan to build much storage and cabinets and such near the miter saw.

So here's some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Updates... They shorted me one 6" 90 degree elbow. So I have to drive 50 miles round trip tomorrow. I guess it works out since there's a ton of other extras I need to return. I need to grab a few 4" and 6" flex hose clamps too. I think I may be able to have this complete by end of day tomorrow. I sure hope so. I'm way behind on some clients' projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Hi Michael,
    How do you like the CV1800 so far? Is the bin/drum included with the system?

For the ducting, is the offset from the wall on your initial straight run of ducting dictated by the offset of the cyclone inlet from the wall? I'm just curious if an initial sweep back to the wall from the cyclone inlet and then having each wye in a vertical orientation (pointed down for the drop) would give a little more shop space along that side. Did you use a design service for the ducting?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    Hi Michael,
    How do you like the CV1800 so far? Is the bin/drum included with the system?

For the ducting, is the offset from the wall on your initial straight run of ducting dictated by the offset of the cyclone inlet from the wall? I'm just curious if an initial sweep back to the wall from the cyclone inlet and then having each wye in a vertical orientation (pointed down for the drop) would give a little more shop space along that side. Did you use a design service for the ducting?
    Well, I have the CVMAX, not the CV-1800. But I can say that the CVMAX is all it is cracked up to be. I'm absolutely ecstatic about this purchase!!! I called Nordfab and they hooked me up with a local dealer. I sent them a SketchUp drawing of my shop. They put together a system that would suit my needs and my available budget. I installed it all myself.

The offset from the wall is due to the CVMAX only being made in a 'Left Hand' model. This means that the cyclone should ideally be installed on the other end of my shop so the duct can run right up against the wall.

The company advised against using WYE's in a vertical direction and insisted that they be using in a horizontal direction stating that it allows for better air flow or something like that.

I'm not really liking that my ducts are directly over my head when standing at the badnsaws or the router table. They cast a shadow. Time for some spot lighting I guess...

I probably should've waited and had a custom transition made to ease the duct over towards the wall. I didn't because I really needed this to be done and over so I can get back to work and get paid.

No, the bin is not included. I ordered two 75 gallon drums from uline.com. 2 piece min order. Very please with that as well. I have some sample drum liners being delivered today.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    The company advised against using WYE's in a vertical direction and insisted that they be using in a horizontal direction stating that it allows for better air flow or something like that.
    I haven't heard this one before. Wye's are installed on the vertical all the time. It would be interesting to know the reason, but if there is a significant difference in cost between the 90 and 45 Ells, that may be your answer.

Not bad to have it away from the wall a little, makes it easier to change later. The clamps are not always as easy to install as advertised.

BTW, glad to see you went metal duct.

Mike

that is one sweet setup you're building there. nice, clean, simple layout of the ductwork.

Blog Entries
    A vertical wye allows offcuts to fall down the unused leg of the wye as the dust stream passes by. Much less likely to happen if the setup is with horizontal wyes But the cost is a bit more friction loss due to the extra 90 needed to redirect the duct down the wall. And, yes, that is one sweet setup.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-06-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    I haven't heard this one before. Wye's are installed on the vertical all the time. It would be interesting to know the reason, but if there is a significant difference in cost between the 90 and 45 Ells, that may be your answer.

Not bad to have it away from the wall a little, makes it easier to change later. The clamps are not always as easy to install as advertised.

BTW, glad to see you went metal duct.

Mike
    Just my take on the wye orientation - it's discouraged due to the possibility of particulate dropping out of the airstream from a pickup further upstream and collecting in an unused/infrequently used wye and its piping.

My Oneida Pro system has high mounted trunk lines with vertically oriented wyes and I have not had any problems with particulate dropping out.

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Last edited by Tom Wassack; 11-06-2013 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    A vertical wye allows offcuts to fall down the unused leg of the wye as the dust stream passes by. Much less likely to happen if the setup is with horizontal wyes But the cost is a bit more friction loss due to the extra 90 needed to redirect the duct down the wall. And, yes, that is one sweet setup.
    I could see where this could happen on some of the hobby systems designed with larger mains and smaller branch ducts. When you go into the main, the velocity drops and so can the particulate. It could be dragged along the bottom and fall in to the vertical take-off

This velocity drop would not meet code if it got below the minimum conveying velocity. A commercial shop with multiple users that has to meet code is a difficult application for sure if the collector is not sized to handle all the drops at one time.

Mike