Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing and Insulation question

Framing and Insulation question

I know these may be stupid questions but hopefully someone more enlightened than me can answer this.

I am preparing a workshop in an unfinished area of my basement. It appears the previous owner framed a room but never drywalled it. Before I drywall it I wanted to add insulation between the studs but wanted to see if that was ok to do considering the wall has some form of insulation with a tin foil type backer already applied to the concrete walls. Is it ok to just apply regular insulation between the studs effectively doubling up the insulation?

Secondly, since it doesn't appear this room was framed during construction and was done by the previous owner can anyone advise if the green tinted board in the picture is actually pressure treated and ok to be used as a base plate? If it is not I rather change it out now before dry walling. I only ask because all pressure treated lumber I have seen has a brown tint and I have not seen one like this with green tinting. The rest of the base plates in the room are brown except this one wall.

Thought? Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg

Shaun: CCA treated wood had a green tinge to it. It stopped being used about 10 years ago for residential use. If you think this work was done before the 2003/2004 timeframe, it's a good bet that it is CCA treated wood. Here is a link that tells you how to verify for sure if it is treated or not: http://www.ehow.com/how_6564152_iden...ated-wood.html.
    I'd be more concerned about the insulation that is currently there. It looks like Reflectix or a clone; but that stuff isn't much good. It is meant to reflect heat back outside, in spaces like attics or crawl spaces. If possible, I'd consider installing 1" or better yet, 2" extruded styrofoam (XPS) sheets against the wall; that will help with any moisture issues with warm, moist interior air hitting a cold, concrete exterior wall. Then if you needed more insulation, put something like Roxul Comfort-Batt in the stud walls.

Thanks for the reply. The home was only built in 2009 so it had to be completed after that. The previous owner sold it in 2011 so it had to be done between that time frame. I will check the link you provided. Just wondering if I need to rip that board out if it is not treated.

If I add regular batt insulation in between the studs will I have a moisture problem between the batt insulation and this tin foil covered insulation? I have access to alot of batt insulation already and would like to use that if it doesn't create any problems.

Here is a larger picture of the insulation in place if it makes it clearer as to what it is.
    photo-3.jpg
    Last edited by Shaun Wesley; 10-28-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Isn't that interesting - pressure treated lumber up here in Canada is still green.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Wesley View Post
    I know these may be stupid questions but hopefully someone more enlightened than me can answer this.

I am preparing a workshop in an unfinished area of my basement. It appears the previous owner framed a room but never drywalled it. Before I drywall it I wanted to add insulation between the studs but wanted to see if that was ok to do considering the wall has some form of insulation with a tin foil type backer already applied to the concrete walls. Is it ok to just apply regular insulation between the studs effectively doubling up the insulation?

Secondly, since it doesn't appear this room was framed during construction and was done by the previous owner can anyone advise if the green tinted board in the picture is actually pressure treated and ok to be used as a base plate? If it is not I rather change it out now before dry walling. I only ask because all pressure treated lumber I have seen has a brown tint and I have not seen one like this with green tinting. The rest of the base plates in the room are brown except this one wall.

Thought? Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg
    Your questions are anything but stupid. You want to avoid rot & mold, do-overs, double material expense and triple labor.

Green and brown treated lumber is still readily available today, although the chemicals used to treat it have changed. Home Depot explains the colors and chemicals and what is sold in various states or by regions in this link: First Look: Pressure Treated Lumber

I am not certain exactly what you have for existing insulation. The foil-faced, batt-roll appears like original construction. The vapor barrier is on the correct side, the interior. My hunch is your plan of adding batts between the studs would work just fine, but I don't want to steer you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    Isn't that interesting - pressure treated lumber up here in Canada is still green.
    In Indiana as well!

Shaun: As Jeff states, the major thing is to have the vapor on the warm side of the structure being insulated. From your original picture, I thought you had Reflectix, the second picture looks like foiled-faced fiberglass batt; which is much better than the Reflectix. The idea is to prevent warm moist air from touching the cold, dry outside wall or foundation. Since you have the vapor barrier facing the warm side, there shouldn't be a problem with condensation. I don't see a problem with you now placing batt insulation in the stud-walls.
    I haven't seen green-tinged treated lumber in Northern Virginia in years, I'm surprised it is available in other parts of the country. You learn something new every day.
    Good luck, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    Shaun: As Jeff states, the major thing is to have the vapor on the warm side of the structure being insulated. From your original picture, I thought you had Reflectix, the second picture looks like foiled-faced fiberglass batt; which is much better than the Reflectix. The idea is to prevent warm moist air from touching the cold, dry outside wall or foundation. Since you have the vapor barrier facing the warm side, there shouldn't be a problem with condensation. I don't see a problem with you now placing batt insulation in the stud-walls.
    I haven't seen green-tinged treated lumber in Northern Virginia in years, I'm surprised it is available in other parts of the country. You learn something new every day.
    Good luck, Bob

Thanks for the info regarding the insulation. I will move forward with that endeavor. I did find a stamp on the base plate today while looking it over. Maybe this stamp means more to you than me and someone can tell me definitively if I can leave it in place or need to take it out.
    photo-4.jpg

It's kiln dried, heat treated, yellow southern pine.

Blog Entries
    Yep, not pressure treated, color looks like paint. Unless you have had water penetrate, I'd not worry about replacing. You ARE building shop wall right?
    If there are moisture issues, solve those BEFORE you put your machines in the area. Or you WILL be sorry and dealing with rust.

+1 on Steve's lumber stamp I.D. In case you are wondering, Rayonier is the forest product company that produced this piece of lumber.
    +1 on John's advice regarding potential moisture issues. I think that is much more important than having pressure treated lumber.

During the 80's and 90's, I finished my bare basement with regular (untreated) framing lumber, helped a lot of friends & neighbors do the same and helped two relatives build their houses from the ground up. Nobody used treated lumber unless it was for a deck. Currently we are having a new house built and I have not noticed any treated lumber in any of the homes under construction or the builders' model homes.

If that was my basement and project and if I didn't have a moisture problem (the key factor), I would be inclined to insulate the studs, wire, plumb (if any) and drywall it and not worry. One thing I would pay attention to is making sure the sheet rock does not touch the floor. Gypsum is one big wick. Leave a 1/2 - 1" gap and cover that with base board, coved flooring or how ever you desire to trim it.

Based on the pictures provided, the foil insulation is not installed correctly to act as a vapor retarder due to the unsealed gaps at the floor. Can you identify the foil insulation and confirm it is an approved vapor retarder? Are the seams tape sealed, how is the seal at the top of the foundation wall? How well insulated are the joist bay areas over the foundation? Is the exterior of the foundation insulated? There are many factors to consider based on your location, climate and the basement environment along with meeting local code.

With that in mind and provided you have a "dry" basement condition you would most likely be fine insulating as is with unfaced insulation, Roxul would be my first choice due to higher r-values and moisture resistance. If you plan to drywall and laytex paint, that will act as a type 3 vapor retarder. Reducing air movement between warm and cold reduces the chances of moisture problems. You might want to have a conversation with your local code official as well.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Based on the pictures provided, the foil insulation is not installed correctly to act as a vapor retarder due to the unsealed gaps at the floor. Can you identify the foil insulation and confirm it is an approved vapor retarder? Are the seams tape sealed, how is the seal at the top of the foundation wall? How well insulated are the joist bay areas over the foundation? Is the exterior of the foundation insulated? There are many factors to consider based on your location, climate and the basement environment along with meeting local code.

With that in mind and provided you have a "dry" basement condition you would most likely be fine insulating as is with unfaced insulation, Roxul would be my first choice due to higher r-values and moisture resistance. If you plan to drywall and laytex paint, that will act as a type 3 vapor retarder. Reducing air movement between warm and cold reduces the chances of moisture problems. You might want to have a conversation with your local code official as well.
    Sorry for the late reply. The seems are not tapped and there are a few holes in the foil from moving stuff and hitting it. Should I go back through and tape the seems and holes? What do I use? Hvac tape? One wall is below grade and the other is not. This is a walk out basement. I will upload a picture of the top of the wall where the joists are so you can see. There is no insulation on the exterior of the foundation. The foundation is poured concrete and some form of black tar is applied to the foundation wall below grade. The foundation also has exterior and interior drain tile. I have had absolutely no water issues. Since you mentioned unfaced insulation are you saying I cannot use the JM faced insulation available at the BORG?

First picture is floor, second photo is celling and joists and the third photo just shows the one wall below grade where the HVAC enters. I assume holes like where this lines enter should be sealed up?

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg
    Last edited by Shaun Wesley; 11-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.

PLEASE NO FIBERGLASS
    or at least do not consider it
    you could get a mold problem pretty quick if you do not seal it corectly for you climate area/conditions
    your basement may seem dry but that is because air is moving

concrete lets moisture in and out

Please read/search these links

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

http://www.buildingscience.com/searc...ent+insulation
    Carpe Lignum

To support my no fiberglass
    review this article

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...t%20insulation
    Carpe Lignum