Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is G0513x2 vs G0513 worth the 300$ price differance?

I picked up a G0513X2 at the Grizzly tent sale and it is an amazing saw. The top cover is a little dented and there are a few scratches on it, but it was essentially set up perfectly when I got it set up at my house despite looking like it took a direct hit from a forklift. I got a woodslicer blade for it and haven't looked back. The cut is so smooth that I hardly have to sand the cuts afterwards. I upgraded from a 14" delta and I really feel the additional mass of the cast iron wheels helps keep the blade moving smoothly when resawing wide hard boards. It was one of the greatest investments I have made in my shop. I wish it had the brake, but I really don't miss it that much. I don't have any problems letting it spool down after I make a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I bought a G0514X2 so I could get the cast iron wheels. They were horrible. The spokes in the bottom wheel were not the same thickness across the wheel. There was not enough cast iron in the faces of the rim, so it was not machined all around. There were 9 balance holes drilled in the back, on one side of the wheel, and 4 steel plates riveted to the side of the rim on the other side in an attempt to balance it. They were not successful. Nothing would stay on the table with the saw running it was so far out of balance. I sent the machine back after replacing the bottom wheel, because the top wheel was nearly as bad. So I would definitely not spend the extra for cast iron wheels.
    FWIW, my 514X2 can balance a nickel through startup and shutdown, and my wheels only have a handful of balancing holes drilled in them. You know, it really drives me nuts sometimes why a manufacturer, who certainly knows better, lets junk like this out the door.

I am very fond of the Wood Slicer blades. The blades last me a long time and service is quick. There are several other good ones available.

I went through the same thoughts when considering my G0514x2 purchase.

I would not count larger table size or cast iron parts as bells-and-whistles. They make a difference when cutting heavy or thick or green things.

Get the biggest, most powerful saw you can afford.

I've had an 0513x2B for four years and love it! Smooth, accurate, the brake works great - there is nothing that I would ask to be improved on this saw.

Occasionally a tool company brings out a tool that is a winner across the board. For me, the 0513X2B is one.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the G0513X2 with the mobile base. Now I have to find a blade or two. I know the resaw king gets top marks for resawing but 200 plus for a blade is out of reach. Somebody brought up the wood slicer blades, thoughts? Thanks

Speaking of Wood slicer blades, I've found that using a dremel type tool ( I have the $25 Black n Decker ) to touch up the teeth makes the blade last a very long time.
    I've been getting excellent results and about 3 ~ 4 resharpenings per blade. The blade in my shop lasts about a year between sharpenings. Now that's some savings IMO.

It takes me about 15 min or less to touch up a blade.