Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Photo-Op

Workbench Photo-Op

Whether you made it from scratch, improved it or purchased it... Put a picture of your workbench here.

I bought the bench, made the drawers (maple sides, beech fronts), made the inserts from beech and added the tool slots in back. I have no idea how I went for decades without one.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous....

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Whether you made it from scratch, improved it or purchased it... Put a picture of your workbench here.

I bought the bench, made the drawers (maple sides, beech fronts), made the inserts from beech and added the tool slots in back. I have no idea how I went for decades without one.
    100_4966.jpg

Made from scratch.

iphone 8.10.13 303.jpg swapped for weekend use of my truck; the face and top of tail vise I had to replace (that's red DYE on the top)

Does this Count?

Two pine, splayed leg saw horses, a 10' 2x12 on a couple of cleats, and a 150' of 8/4 rough-sawn hard maple with one edge hand jointed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For a similar thread check out the Show us your bench thread in the announcement sticky:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124750
    The Plane Anarchist

The top is made from three boards of 16/4 hard maple. Because of some twist I only got about 3-1/2" of final thickness. Rails are drawbored into the legs. Record hold down in the center. The leg vise has the Crisscross from Bencrafted. Shiplapped bottom shelf. The end vise uses a Record 52-1/2.

Photo Jul 19, 10 45 23 AM.jpgPhoto Jul 19, 10 46 35 AM.jpgPhoto Jul 19, 10 45 57 AM.jpgPhoto Jul 19, 10 52 57 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Julie. Thats a heckova bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    For a similar thread check out the Show us your bench thread in the announcement sticky:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124750
    Thanks! I did a search for something like that and a bunch of other threads came up but not that one. Guess I should have looked at the stickys first. I find it really informative to see how we get things done. Just pictures of the workbench are loaded with ideas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Viggers View Post
    The top is made from three boards of 16/4 hard maple. Because of some twist I only got about 3-1/2" of final thickness. Rails are drawbored into the legs. Record hold down in the center. The leg vise has the Crisscross from Bencrafted. Shiplapped bottom shelf. The end vise uses a Record 52-1/2.
    That's a beautiful bench - obviously took a lot of work and expense, but I think the result was worth it. I'd be too afraid to scar it up which is why mine is a basic top out of laminated pine and Record style vices. Even though it works perfect, it's very scared and I won't show it until we have an ugly bench contest.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor - very nice.

Julie, that under bench storage looks awesome! Very well laid out. Something like that is definitely part of the plan for my next bench build (hopefully, happening soon )
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I'm brand new to all this and somewhat lacking in space( until I clear out the garage........one day.)
    So here is my workbench. A slightly modified "Milkman's Workbench" shamelessly copied from Practical Woodworking.
    After.jpg Before.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Dougan; 10-21-2013 at 9:40 AM.

Absolutely beautiful, Julie. An inspiration to me to get my woodworking house "in Order."

This is my bench. It came from a closed cabinet shop. I paid $100 for it and a bunch of USA made c clamps. I added the Veritas wagon vise and the tools. One of these days I intend to make a Shaker style base for it but there always seem to be more pressing things to build.
    bench1.JPGbench2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    This is my bench. It came from a closed cabinet shop. I paid $100 for it and a bunch of USA made c clamps. I added the Veritas wagon vise and the tools. One of these days I intend to make a Shaker style base for it but there always seem to be more pressing things to build.
    bench1.JPGbench2.JPG
    Holy Cow! The vise on that alone (assuming its fully functional and probably even if its not) is worth a quite bit more than you paid for the whole bench. NICE WORK!!!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...