Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three new Veritas products from WIA

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Did you just say tenon saw?!?
    Yup...they're on a shelf somewhere....

November release, I believe. We'll have a good intro price to compensate for the wait...

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Looney View Post
    The new saws look like a larger version of the small rip and crosscut. They use the same material for the back.
    Too bad, not a fan of that design.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hmmm...

I actually counted 10 new products...

Add:

- Norris adjuster wood plane kit
    - honing guide side clamp prototype
    - 3d knit tool roll
    - rip and crosscut tenon saw
    - Systainer based drilling kit
    - flex neck Cree LED magnetic lamp (our design, but not Veritas)
    -more PM-V11 blades

Gotta save some releases for other shows.....

Cheers,

Rob
    (Heading for the airport....)
    Some news from "The Man".
    Thanks for the info Rob! I'm looking forward to the future releases as well.
    Safe Travels...

The honing guide side clamp sounds interesing. Although I must admit that I don't have problems with the existing guide. I use a fairly light touch. it takes longer but I get great results.
    Gary

I really like my mk II honing guide. It would be nicely complimented with something that is less cumbersome for more narrow chisels. I hope the new guide fits that description.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Hi,

I'm really interested in the mortice chisels. I was hopping they would come out at one moment.

But as with the chisels, I'm begging for a metric version .... Please rob release them both in metrics !

Regards,
    Graween.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Graween View Post
    But as with the chisels, I'm begging for a metric version .... Please rob release them both in metrics !
    You will only need metric mortise chisels if you have invested in a metric mortising gauge. Other than that, neither the tenon nor the mortise will know the difference.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Hi Hilton,

In fact yes any marking gauge can work with both measurement systems for mortices and for many othe things, because you set them to the size of the tool, and/or to ratios.
    To be honest I have both the veritas dual marking gauge and the regular one without any measurement on them, and never found any problem using them, though as living in France I work only in metrics.

The problem arises when as everything is in metrics, you most likely want to match this system.

For example if you make a groove with a metric blade for a door rail, you want the right metric size for the mortice chisel.
    Mortice chisels in metrics are more important then chisels I agree.
    Also the 1/3 dividing rule is applied to metrics sized board or rails, like 18 mm width would need a 6mm, which could be approximated by a 6.35 mm = 1/4".

But it's interesting to have metric chisels as well, for example if you want to make a groove across the width of a board (i.e. for a book cabinet) you'll end up fitting a metric sized board, so better to have a mm chisel to match the groove width and chop, before cleaning with router plane.
    By th way probably the resaon why LV makes metrics sized blades for router planes ! Groove cleanup is just right (bought some).

Even if I work a lot by hand, all designs and all are done metrics. So having kind of uniformity within your tools is fine.
    But sure you can go by imperial, but metrics when you live in a metric world, makes things easier , less approximation and potential errors. So less chances you bump your head on the wall because you mismatched things !

Anyway, a lot of nice tools coming by. Christmas will be a hard time to make choices within all theses new toys.

I'm awaiting the MK II guide gizmos for small chisels as well !

Regards,
    Graween.
    Last edited by Erwin Graween; 10-21-2013 at 8:34 AM.

Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
    -more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob
    Got to love the PM-V11. I just bought one of your spoke shaves and have used it extensively. The steel does indeed seem MUCH better than A2, and polishes up to a really nice edge.

Yup...they're on a shelf somewhere....

November release, I believe. We'll have a good intro price to compensate for the wait...

Cheers,

Rob
    I do believe I might have to buy one of those...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hi Rob,

I can't find any pics of the Norris wood plane kit on the LV facebook page. Do you (or anyone else) have any shots of it (and or specs) from the conference (or elsewhere)?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I do believe I might have to buy one of those...
    Despite that fact that I have committed to myself that I would make all my future backsaws myself, I must confess I'll be tempted by them too, if for no other reason than they appear to modeled after the Disston no. 9, which is just a cool seeming saw.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Erwin,

I think I am going to save your post and wrap it in gold foil for the next time the metric vs inch discussion pops up.

Interesting you mention:

if you want to make a groove across the width of a board (i.e. for a book cabinet) you'll end up fitting a metric sized board, so better to have a mm chisel to match the groove width and chop"
    This summer while our grandchildren were visiting our oldest grandson was spending time in the shop woodworking with me. We made book shelves (cabinet) using stopped dados (grooves most of the width of a board). We used several methods. This was mostly for his benefit of learning different ways of doing something. The fastest method was to saw the edges of the dado then clear the waste with a chisel. For clearing the waste my a chisel slightly smaller than the full width worked great without and chipping on the edges of the dado that can happen with a full width chisel. Here our soft woods are sold as 1X that actually measure 3/4". My 18mm chisel is marked 3/4" but anyone who has ever worked with metric/inch conversions knows 3/4" is closer to 19mm.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Graween View Post
    Hi,

I'm really interested in the mortice chisels. I was hopping they would come out at one moment.

Regards,
    Graween.
    Hi Erwin!

We're listening!

Cheers -

Rob

Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
    -more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob
    You missed the Hinge Mortice Plane, Rob

A pox on you Rob Lee! A pox I say!

Haven't you tortured me enough with these minis? Why do you keep making me buy these things?

Maybe I can tell myself that I can use the spoke shave to sloooowly sharpen a pencil. Uhuh. Yeah.

Note: Sarcasm implied, if not implicitly stated.
    Where did I put that tape measure...