Thread: Finishing drawers

Finishing drawers

I have built 3 half blind dovetail drawers for a desk I am building. They are flush fitting with the front face and backcherry and sides maple. I am going to use Maloof poly/oil. Should I finish them before or after assembly? I'm concerned about the dovetails not fitting as nicely as they are now.
    Tim

After assembly.
    Use tape to mask off the fronts if they are getting a different finish schedule.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Blog Entries
    Aaron's got it. That's how I do mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you guys. Appreciate your advise.

personally i would only finish the front face. The oil and poly smell (VOC) takes a long time to dissipate from drawers (months).

Like Sam, I suggest you finish all other parts except for the outside front with shellac. Oil-based finish will indeed smell for months or even years.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Like Sam, I suggest you finish all other parts except for the outside front with shellac. Oil-based finish will indeed smell for months or even years.
    True enough, there are some nightstands upstairs that I finished with tung oil 30 years ago that still have a faint odor inside.

I've typically left the drawer boxes unfinished or used latex paint. I've stayed away from any oil based finishes for exactly the reasons mentioned above.
    Wood'N'Scout

For drawer boxes that I don't leave unfinished, I use either shellac or water borne clear to avoid any "long term future odor"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim and Sam said, I genenally do NOT finish the insides of drawers....The odors lingers long time....If necessary, I use Shellac. HTH
    Jerry