Thread: Walker Turner 14" bandsaw rebuild

Walker Turner 14" bandsaw rebuild

Though I'd completed my 14" WT band saw but I think I have a bad bearing. The saw seems to run fine until it starts to slow down when I turn it off, then there's a short vibration which I hadn't noticed before... seems to be in the top wheel. Probably should replace all the bearings. Has anyone done this before... need advise, where to get bearings, what to look out for etc. Thanks.
    Front restored (600x800) (600x800).jpgBack restored (600x800).jpgLogo restored (800x600).jpgTrunnion restored (800x600).jpg

I put new bearings in my WT 14" saw. It was pretty simple. Both the top & bottom bearings are a standard size & it was easy to take apart & reassemble. (The bearing on the guides are another matter -- essentially unobtainable).
    As to where to get them, go to www.owwm.org, "old woodworking machines topic". One of the "sticky" (permanent) posts at the top concerns ordering bearings from Accurate bearing, a place that many of us have had a good experience with. Very reasonable prices, fast, & know their stuff. It is where I got bearings for my saw.

Terry T.

Disconnect power, remove blade. Turn top wheel by hand check for noise and vibration. Run motor and lower pulley without blade and listen for noise and vibration, if you hear something unusual remove the belt and run the motor by itself to try to isolate the source. Bearing noise typically increases with speed and load. Your description does not sound like a bearing problem. If a bearing is the problem it should be available form your auto parts store for cheap. I took off and reinstalled both wheels on my grizzly saw tonight to replace the tires. The removal process took 5 minutes. Bearings are uniquely identified by a number that is usually stamped on the outer race. In the absence of the number you can use the inner and outer diameters to try to find a replacement. Most likely these bearing will be deep groove ball bearings which will have a designation 6***. I would recommend sealed bearings which will carry the suffix '2RS' after the number. MK

That looks fantastic,nice job.Over on the OWWM site including myself bearings are purchase from Accurate Bearing Co.
    http://www.accuratebearing.com/contact.php but you will have to call them with old bearings in hand and ask for Lynn.If you should have dial calipers,have them handy and keep in mind what your budget is cause you will have opitions.I have purchase several of the Nachi brand bearings which is on the cheaper side and never had a problem over the yrs.You will also need to know if you want shielded bearings or sealed bearings.On my deltas,PM's I went with the sealed bearings to help keep out moisture and dust.And have a pencil and paper handy to write down the customer #'s and have the CC in hand.Lynn is very helpful,easy to talk to and full of information and knows her stuff.Heres some more need to know info before you call http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93322 Good Luck----Carroll
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 10-18-2013 at 8:53 AM.

Thanks Terry. The only bearings needing to be replaced are the ones on the upper and lower wheels. I found blade thrust bearings on EBay for $44 if you ever need any. Go to http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKER-TURNE...Guide-Assembly. Thanks for the info. Bill

Good information. Thhanks

Thanks. I agree with your thinking, sealed bearings make a lot of sense. I'll give accurate bearings a call today to discuss. Thanks again. Bill

Thought I'd send you a picture of the bearings I got on Ebay. They have the grove like the original but don't have the oil hole in the shaft. Don't see that as a problem.Backer Bearings (800x600).jpg