Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This for That

Overwhelming response to sharpen! I will sharpen and recommend or supply gloves. I was not concerned about his mental capacity and at first I thought carving would keep him engaged and provide a focus for him to enjoy. Then I became concerned about the uncontrolled movements that Parkinson produces and the use carving knives. I have given him some 3/4 pine pieces that would good for chip carving, when he brings the knives by will sharpen them and discuss gloves as Ellen others have said. Thank you all, I have lurked for a long time and learned quite a lot.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Sharp chisel is much safer than dull ..

The food industry has kevlar net gloves that prevents cutting yourself.

Don't worry about old people. I've decided my 72 year old father can climb ladders if he wants to even with his replaced knee and one eye. I helps if he asks.

It sounds like you might have potentially made a friend, or at least given some elderly person something to look forward to. Other than languishing in a retirement village where the only excitement is deciding what you want for supper and what time is bingo.

I brought my Labrador retriever to a retirement home when my wife's grandmother was staying. You should have seen the people's faces light up!! It was awesome!! To see them go from just sitting in a wheel chair staring at a tv screen, to a smile and reaching out to pet my dog. The nurses said it made a big difference in the patient's lives.

My take on this is, why don't you ask if he wants to come over to your shop to help with a project? It just might give him something to look forward to? He probably won't come over but the thought woodworking might give him something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    Now I think I shouldn't do the sharpening because woodworking and Parkinson's do not seem to be a good combination. What says the forum?
    God, I love California.

Better call Sacramento...surely they have ten or fifteen thousand people on the payroll dedicated to nannying questions like this.

Well since you posted I'm putt'n in my 2 cents. My wife works in healthcare as a resp therapist. So she see's a lot of folks that are getting down to the end of the road so to speak. Unfortunately a lot are smokers and she see's it time and time a gain. The children come in make mom quit knowing it ain't going to make any diff at this point. They make mom or grandma whoever the case may be, miserable to extend their life a bit. Not for the benefit of her, but for them. Rather when asked, my wife will reply make her happy, make her comfortable. So... I guess what I'm saying, if that will give that man some comfort do it. I pray someone would do the same for me. It's not the quantity of life, but the quality. I think you gave this guy a spark to live a little. DO IT! Sorry to be long winded.

No only do I think you should sharpen (as others have mentioned) but I would just go out and get him a pair of the gloves so he has them. Probability of his getting them if you mention them is just about 0. Heck, maybe you could take it to 11 and clear a seat in the shop next time he motors by. Parkinson's is a b***h and anything to keep people with it active is time / effort well spent.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

OK, I'll take a slightly different tack. Where is he going to do his carving, at the home or in your shop? If it's in your shop, go to it. If it's at the home, that may be a no-go as far as management is concerned. They have to think about the other folks safety, not just his. He may be stable, etc., but there are probably a host of others who aren't. Unless the facility's management specifically approves it, I would not do it because everyone in America is too quick to sue when something bad happens.

My two cents.

John

If you sharpen them, he will feel useful again and you will make him very happy.

Unfortunately, I doubt if the residence will let him use it. Most senior places are tightly regulated by the State for safety, etc., and a bad writeup after a surprise audit or another family misguidedly reporting his use to a controlling agency can create real difficulty. If the preceding doesn't occur, I am sure that the residence's attorneys would have something to say.

Not withstanding the preceding I would sharpen them because I would want to see the man's eyes when when he takes them and either uses them or dreams of what could be. Either way, you will have given him some joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    No only do I think you should sharpen (as others have mentioned) but I would just go out and get him a pair of the gloves so he has them. Probability of his getting them if you mention them is just about 0. Heck, maybe you could take it to 11 and clear a seat in the shop next time he motors by. Parkinson's is a b***h and anything to keep people with it active is time / effort well spent.
    x10

Thank you to everybody for your considered opinions. I will sharpen the chisels and recommend or supply some gloves. I was just worried about a involuntary movement causing a serious cut. I think John is probably right about management regs at his facility.

I will make certain he knows he is welcome to stop by anytime.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss