Thread: Anyone own a ULS 12.75?

Anyone own a ULS 12.75?

Let me start off by saying this group is awesome, everyone is friendly and willing to help and give advice on just about anything, from beginner tips to those advanced trade secrets many people other people try to keep to themselves.
    I currently have a few different laser engravers, 2 Epilog and 2 Universal and after many frustrating experiences with the Epilog 36EXT (but the fiber has been fantastic thus far) and their customer support in attempting to fix it, I was looking into purchasing another Universal laser. The current ones I have are fairly old, but they are still workhorses that require only the routine maintenance and a few minor fixes over the years.

So my first question is does anyone run the Universal ILS 12.75? I was looking into getting the dual laser configuration with a 30Watt and 75Watt for both engraving and cutting of some materials up to about 1/2 inch.
    I'd be interested in any feedback you have about this laser, or similar new models.

Now the longshot... does anyone in the Chicagoland or nearby states own the Universal ILS 12.75 with a similar configuration that would be willing to let me stop by and check it out?

I've already put together a sample package of goodies that I engrave/cut on a normal basis to send to Universal, but the feedback from actual customers and owners who use it on a daily basis like all of you guys and gals is extremely helpful because it's the bluntness and honestly that the salespeople skimp on!

Any information or general support experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Keith
    Trotec Flexx 400 120W/30W
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W
    Epilog Fibermark 20W
    Universal M-460
    Mimaki UJF 6042 UV Printer
    NewingHall NH300, NH400, NH450
    Ricoh 7700 Sublimation Printer
    CrystalBlast 3624 Sandblaster

Will the extra thirty watts from the dual set up have enough value to you to justify it's cost?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

We have 12.5 I think with 60 & 75 watt cartridges. Pm me a phone number and I will give you a call about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    Will the extra thirty watts from the dual set up have enough value to you to justify it's cost?
    Hi Joe,

I guess I should have been more specific, but I hate making extremely long posts unless I'm giving advice to someone else!
    The reason I would go with that dual setup is to use the 30 watt for actual engraving of plastics/acrylics and the 75 (or 75+30) for cutting.
    I do a very large quantity of awards and extremely small text, and currently with the epilog, the quality of small text from the higher wattage is just not to my standards.

So for me, the extra cost of the dual tube would be worth it in the long run, I currently have enough jobs to keep this and my other 3 lasers running nearly all day.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W
    Epilog Fibermark 20W
    Universal M-460

Based on checking out all the lasers in a trade show environment (which is hugely different than a work environment) and based on what reviews I've read on this site, I'd seriously look at a Trotec before a Universal or Epilog if I were going to buy a western laser engraver.

With all that said, I'd still seriously consider a Chinese laser if I was looking to do a lot of vector cutting. The bang for the buck is hard to beat.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Keith,

Have you looked at Trotecs? I think you'd be pretty darn happy with fine engraving they can do, even at the 80W level. If you're after something like the 36EXT in size, take a look at the Speedy 400... they do have a 500 if you need bigger (28" x 49"). They offer a mixed CO2/fiber setup for the 400 series, but I believe it's only CO2 for the 500 series.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dan,

I briefly looked into the Trotecs, but having no personal experience and don't anyone near me that has owned one except on these forums didn't look too hard.
    I'll give them another shot, I think I would have to go with the 500 series. The table size fits some of the full sheet materials I work with much better, similar to the ULS 12.75 would.

Thanks for the heads up
    Keith
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W
    Epilog Fibermark 20W
    Universal M-460