Thread: Liquor cabinet

Liquor cabinet

In a moment of softness, I decided I wanted to build a boss of mine (who is moving on) a liquor cabinet.

The dimensions would be 6' by 3' by 16 inches deep (unless y'all can justify more).

I make things out of the lumber/wood that represents people, and this guy, to me at least, deserves hickory for the entire thing (he strikes me as a very durable, pliable person, much like hickory wood). I would finish it with the glossiest finish possible because. . .well. . .that's the way I see this guy. A super-durable stand-out of a human being that can be bent to the extreme, but not broken.

He usually stores liquor in litre volumes, and these tend to be < 14 inches, so that would be 5 shelves for this 6 foot liquor cabinet.

Is there anything that you folks would add to this? He doesn't strike me as a super-flashy individual, but as a connoisseur of finer things, if that makes sense, so exotic woods to me just seem extremely useless. The guy just strikes me as the All-American dude.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

As a non-flash connoisseur of finer things I'd consider a very subtle yet classy accent.. perhaps using small strips of ebony for door pulls? Not fancy or flashy but a high-quality accent for those who know what they are looking at. Understated, yet very high-class.

Just my $0.02, Adam.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Are there places for glasses, mixes and implements drink mixology?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Oh, good call. I had forgotten about the glasses and other stuffs.

And Mr. Neely. . .I like the small accents idea. I'll have to see what I can come up with in my head.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    And don't forget some space to actually DO the mixing and pouring.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Adam,
    This is a classy project on your part but the big question to me is "does he want something like this?", because it would be sad for you to do this project and for him not to want it. Assuming he does want it, then the cabinet needs to look like it belongs where he will put it and not stand out as not belonging. Does he have any favorite furniture pieces now that you can complement or incorporate details from to tie the new project with the existing?

maybe too obvious but how about incorporating a brass plate with appropriate engraving somewhere in the design? I think this helps the recipient show off a gift like this to visitors.

Pull out / removable felt-covered tray for mixing and serving.
    Pull-down holder for reference / guide book

Some component (pulls, shelves, glassware rack?) made from oak barrels used for ageing liquor? Subtle, yet worthy of a story...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Adam,
    This is a classy project on your part but the big question to me is "does he want something like this?", because it would be sad for you to do this project and for him not to want it. Assuming he does want it, then the cabinet needs to look like it belongs where he will put it and not stand out as not belonging. Does he have any favorite furniture pieces now that you can complement or incorporate details from to tie the new project with the existing?
    +1, my thoughts exactly. Accepting such a gift will require quite a commitment from your boss and his family.
    Last edited by Jack Curtis; 10-18-2013 at 2:06 AM.

Adam - Many great points have been raised in this discussion. But for me it triggered a thought - I really like the Byrdcliffe Linen Press project that Robert Lang wrote about for Popular Woodworking. And your discussion caused me to think that this piece could be made into a very nice liquor cabinet. Perhaps opening the upper doors would reveal a pullout. Perhaps the upper drawer would fold down. Or perhaps the lower two drawers become one that has dividers for liquor and mixers. As has been pointed out - style and location are important - but for me I have wanted to build the Byrdckiffe Linen Press.... but other than filling it with stuff "out of the way" what is the use.... but as a very nice liquor cabinet - perfect!.... Oh another project on the list.....

Cheers Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Pull out / removable felt-covered tray for mixing and serving.
    Pull-down holder for reference / guide book
    How is a felt covered tray going to work for pouring / mixing liquor? Not very well if I'm the one doing the pouring and mixing because I am pretty shaky.

It would pull out like a drawer, affording one a work surface --- then if need be, could be removed and used to serve drinks.

Great ideas, all. I'll definitely have to save up this thread.

And he's currently unattached, never married. He's okay with it being made from hickory, and he knows it is a light wood. He's even willing to pay the shipping from here in MD to Denver, Colorado!

@Bill - I like that idea (the two sets of doors type of thing). I'll have to look for that linen closet and see what modifications may need made to it.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.