Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasering a mirror

Lasering a mirror

Been asked to laser a wedding plan on a mirror, how would you guys do this, engrave from the front or back? any tips??
    Cheers!!!
    MIRROR.jpg
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and but a $10 pack of 12x12 mirrors. Try it both ways. It takes trials to get the power just right so you will need cheap mirrors.
    Last edited by Robert Silvers; 10-16-2013 at 8:55 PM.

I would engrave from the back then paint it with the color font they would like. You can laser it either way. Doing the back gives you a few more options.

Some (more expensive mirrors) are "mirrored" to a copper plate. Cheap mirrors engrave nicely from the back. Post a photo when your finished!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I just went thru a not-so-fun mirror escapade. 22 mirrors for family gifts, just off-the-shelf things from some store. I found that about half of them my 40w LS900 wouldn't penetrate the mirrored backing, whatever it was. However, the same mirrors in the same place lasered like gangbusters in my 25w Universal...? It had NO problem with the coatings. On a similar vein, my 25w laser refuses to make a nice white mark on black anodized aluminum, no matter how fast, slow, power settings, it doesn't matter. I light gray is all it'll get. The 40w makes much whiter marks on anodized.

What's up with that? (and sorry for the slight hijack)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Pulse frequency maybe.

I have had better luck engraving on cheap mirrors. Some of the more expensive ones had a thicker backing and one batch had a grid-like pattern in the backing that was really difficult to engrave thru. I never took pictures, but I had some nice results engraving on the back and painting with different colors such as copper metallic, gold metallic. I engraved a name on the back of one little mirror and painted the back a hot pink for a friend's teenage daughter's locker. She loved it - her name showed up in hot pink thru the mirror.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I use the mirrors from Lowes all the time. Make sure you get the ones without any adhesive on the back. Engrave from the back.
    Epilog Helix 40 Watt, Very well equipped woodshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Hazen View Post
    I would engrave from the back then paint it with the color font they would like. You can laser it either way. Doing the back gives you a few more options.
    This is always my vote... from the back. It looks cleaner since there's no multiple reflections of the text to make it look blurry.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can't think of a single reason I would engrave a mirror from the front, although there are probably a few. That's just my opinion of which you'll find many here. So follow the earlier advice and buy the cheap mirrors and do some testing.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

First or second surface mirrors Matt?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I can't think of a single reason I would engrave a mirror from the front, although there are probably a few. That's just my opinion of which you'll find many here. So follow the earlier advice and buy the cheap mirrors and do some testing.
    I engraved the 3 Disney hitchhiking ghosts onto the front of three 12x18" mirrors for a lady for Halloween-- The second 'ghost' image reflecting from surface of the glass is actually really cool when you walk by the mirrors-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I always engrave mirror from the back.
    I also keep in stock both silver and gold acrylic mirror for several reasons. Acrylic mirror is lighter in weight and since you can vector cut acrylic there are more options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I always engrave mirror from the back.
    I also keep in stock both silver and gold acrylic mirror for several reasons. Acrylic mirror is lighter in weight and since you can vector cut acrylic there are more options available.
    Tougher as well from memory isn't it Keith?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Thanks guys, back it is then !!! not something i would normally do but its a 'favour' no doubt it will all go wrong as 'no good dead goes unpunished'
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.