Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mobile base thread...

Another mobile base thread...

Hi everybody,

There's a specific thing I'm looking for in a mobile base, and so far I haven't been able to find a non-homemade example.

What I want is a mobile base that, when the wheels are disengaged, goes FLAT TO THE FLOOR. So that the weight of my 500+ pound jointer/planer, for example, gets transferred to the floor through big, flat pieces of metal, rather than through four small cantilevered contact points. I do not want the tool to wobble any more than it would if there were no base involved at all.

I'm not concerned with how difficult it is to engage or disengage the wheels.

Does anybody know of an existing product that functions like this?

Thanks,
    -Janis
    Last edited by Janis Stipins; 10-14-2013 at 8:27 PM.

A simple way to get the same result, would be to use a regular mobile base & 4 wedges.
    Park the jointer where you are going to use it & lightly drive a wedge under each corner.
    When you need to move it again, use a pry bar to raise each end of the base enough to pull out the wedges.

Janis, I had the same concern as you about wobble and putting my Hammer A3-31 on a mobile base. I ended up using a Rockler all-terain base on my j/p, and have not had any problems with unintended movement or excessive vibration. I never ran my j/p without the mobile base, so I suppose some vibration could have been introduced, just not enough for me to notice any adverse effects.

Both good suggestions. Currently I'm using the Shop Fox D2057A mobile base, and I am wedging it to keep it from wobbling slightly. But upgrading to a better made base might also help.

Still, it seems like a base that lowers flat to the floor would be best of all, if such a thing exists.

Thanks,
    -Janis

Doesn't SawStop make one like that?

Harbor Freight sells both a shop crane and a pallet jack.
    W/either one you can make a rock solid base & just pickup or jack up the whole thing to move it.
    That would be the simplest way to go about it.

(oops - my bad, I missed the part where "simple" isn't a requirement)
    Still - I like the idea of having things around the shop that can serve multiple functions whenever possible. Both a pallet jack and a shop crane can do that, so I'll stick with that suggestion.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 10-15-2013 at 6:35 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had a similar concern with my lathe. While not exactly a mobile base, here's a possible solution that could be implemented. I've done a similar set up on my maple workbench. Both weigh 400 lbs+. What I really like about the swivel caster arrangement is that I can position the tool in multiple directions quickly.
    IMGP5880.jpgIMGP5888.jpgIMGP5889.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 10-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

It's too bad Shop Fox doesn't offer a mobile base with screw down levelers on all four corners.

John

Nice idea, Dick! That's exactly the sort of thing I was imagining. I might just end up copying your idea if I can. Do you have any specific recommendations for type and thickness of the material? The jointer/planer I'd like to move and set down weighs 500+ lbs.

To Rich's point, either the crane or pallet jack would definitely get the job done, but wouldn't quite fit my space-limited shop. :-)

Thanks,
    -Janis

How about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Janis Stipins View Post
    Nice idea, Dick! That's exactly the sort of thing I was imagining. I might just end up copying your idea if I can. Do you have any specific recommendations for type and thickness of the material? The jointer/planer I'd like to move and set down weighs 500+ .

Thanks,
    -Janis
    Janis, I have a full set of detailed pics with dimensions including a scale drawing of the cam profile in a .pdf file. I'd be glad to send a copy, just PM me with an email address if interested.

FWIW, I have a Jet JJP12 jointer/planer on a Shopfox mobile base that I modified with extended locking swivel casters on one end it has been just fine that way.
    Dick Mahany.

Be careful of the thickness of the wood you use to make a mobile base. I have a Delta mobile base, one of those that joins 4 metal corner pieces with wood. I read conflicting specs for that kind of base. Delta said 300lbs max. Another place said 600lbs. Well, I made some wood as big as possible to fit the brackets, drilled the holes for the bolts as small as possible and I even joined the 3 parts at the lifting end with mortise and tenon. All in hard maple. Then I put a Unisaw onto it. It's like rubber. I wouldn't have believed I'd see hard maple flex. It's really minimal as far as mobility for my saw goes. It's enough, but if I needed to move it any more than the 2 feet or so that I do, I'd have to take it off and put it on an all metal one. This time, Delta is right. 300lbs max.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Doesn't SawStop make one like that?
    They do! I don't know what the footprint is of your J/P but check this out: http://www.sawstop.ca/industrial-mobile-base/
    Regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Janis Stipins View Post
    Hi everybody,

There's a specific thing I'm looking for in a mobile base, and so far I haven't been able to find a non-homemade example.

What I want is a mobile base that, when the wheels are disengaged, goes FLAT TO THE FLOOR. So that the weight of my 500+ pound jointer/planer, for example, gets transferred to the floor through big, flat pieces of metal, rather than through four small cantilevered contact points. I do not want the tool to wobble any more than it would if there were no base involved at all.

I'm not concerned with how difficult it is to engage or disengage the wheels.

Does anybody know of an existing product that functions like this?

Thanks,
    -Janis
    I have actually never seen one of these Vega Machine Movers but according to the Vega site they are supposed to sit flat. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience with them. http://www.vegawoodworking.com/Machine%20Mover.htm

Thank you all for the continuing good suggestions. I like the look of that Vega Machine Mover!

-Janis