Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Lathe / VFD Update... Joy at Last!

Monster Lathe / VFD Update... Joy at Last!

So… here we are. The "final" (for now) setup. The best thing about it? It works!

Roger's comment about flying chucks brought a very sheepish smile to my face. When I first set this up with the Dynamotor, I had just received a brand new Nova Titan chuck which I had loosely threaded onto the spindle. The dynamotor had a built in brake and it stopped pretty quickly. The chuck had other ideas however and it kept merrily spinning until it launched itself into the air. I reacted impulsively and, with visions of my shiny new chuck bouncing across the patio, I foolishly tried to catch it. Bad move! But with that event in mind, I abandoned the three position switch in favor of a push button on/off switch and a separate forward/reverse switch.

controls.jpg

Also with Roger's warnings in mind about what might happen should this be switched during operation, I put a safety cover over it. I also added, for no particular reason, a power indicator lamp. The numerous diagrams and photos sent to me by Josh Bowman, Dave Muller, Richard Bell and others were all helpful in getting this working although they were not specific to the exact devices I had. Ken Fitzgerald was kind enough to spend some time on the phone with me and even though it was very difficult for him to hear me, I could hear him just fine and we mapped out the exact wiring configuration. Dave's programming codes worked like a charm and everything functions as it should.

Now… for some turning!
    David DeCristoforo

Go Dog!!!!!!!!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David, Now for that giant skinny spindle cup thing you do. Really glad it's going now. I hope you enjoy it.

Congratulations. It's been a long road for you.

5. okay.........now you are cooking with gas! I like Josh's idea for your first project.......a grand amphora form with a huge but ornate stem!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Saw in an earlier post that making pens might be a problem but you should be able to really pump out bottle stoppers.

Edit: Actually you could make pens on it, just chuck up closed end pen mandrels and you could pump out some nice closed end pens.
    Last edited by James Combs; 10-12-2013 at 7:43 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

good for you DD

Need more pix.

Your on your way DD, just think positive and get some wood moving in circles.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Glad to hear that you changed to a separate on/off switch. I think it is the safer alternative. +1 for Dennis' comment about more pics, and looking forward to seeing some monster bowls from the monster lathe.
    Way south of most everybody...

I've done that "grab the falling spinning chuck" thing before. It's a tad uncomfortable. I don't recommend it.

Glad to see your monster lathe up and working after all the trials... Now go make some sawdust!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

FWIW, there is a pretty complete photo history of the monster here:

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/lat...ery/index.html

Since then, the tool rest has been replaced with the VicMark outboard rest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ed!&highlight=) and now the motor and VFD upgrade. I will update the photo archive soon but I need to rehab my workspace before taking any more pics as I pretty well thrashed it working on this!
    David DeCristoforo

David - congrats on getting your lathe up and running! Looking forward to hearing how well you like turning on it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think it's cool that you've archived Norm's photos on the initial build. I clearly remember following along with him and his journey. I am sure glad it found a home and new life has been brought to this cool project. Now I expect to see an Amphora that has a 3' diameter flute!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

"...I expect to see an Amphora that has a 3' diameter..."

Bowls, Baby... bowls!
    David DeCristoforo