Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy thick leather to put on my vise?

Where can I buy thick leather to put on my vise?

Where can I buy thick leather to put on my vise? I stopped at a shoe repair place (those places are hard to find) and all he had were precut soles. I'd like pieces about 5 inches wide, 3/16 " thick. Thanks, Bill

Try these guys. I've purchased various pieces of leather from them - deerskin for a headboard, leather for chair cushions, etcetera. I think I linked the Canadian site, they have a USA one as well.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Search your local thrift stores for old boots, bags, chaps, etc. The sides of some old engineer boots would do the trick. Old saddle bags, that fellow at the farmers market selling real leather belts, anything that might yield a large enough piece. If all this fails, craft stores often sell beginner leather working kits that will include a big enough piece to make a little purse or something.

The challenge is two, inexpensive, rather thick, small pieces. Scrap pieces would be ideal. Consider the equestrian market, harness and saddle makers in your quest.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Where can I buy thick leather to put on my vise? I stopped at a shoe repair place (those places are hard to find) and all he had were precut soles. I'd like pieces about 5 inches wide, 3/16 " thick. Thanks, Bill
    That may be tough, but possibly better (easier) yet would be cork.
    A good cork/neoprene blend: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cork-gasket-sheets/=owrwum

A.W.D.

If you can find a Tandy Leather store, they will probably have a wide selection. Last time there, I only needed a small piece and the guy gave it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    If you can find a Tandy Leather store, they will probably have a wide selection. Last time there, I only needed a small piece and the guy gave it to me.
    That's where I got mine, but sadly, not free. However, I did need a relatively large piece and I think for $20 or so I got enough for at least two vises.

Blog Entries
    A cheap alternative is to search eBay. A bunch of cutoffs from many vendors out there.
    And pretty cheap too.

Auto upholstery shops are another potential source.

Tandy leather, definitely. They usually have a scrap bin that is dirt cheap.

BTW, 3/16" thick is pretty thick and not necessary, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I also use Tandy: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...oresearch.aspx
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post

BTW, 3/16" thick is pretty thick and not necessary, IMHO.
    I agree with John that thinner than that would work perfectly well for vise facing. I think I got my leather scraps from a local tack shop; FWIW, I found that having the rough face of the leather on the outside helps grip the work better than smooth side out. I used spray-on glue, 3M 77, I think.

Cork will work too, some of the time.

If you go leather, you probably want tooling leather. This is the thick, heavy stuff.

why not glue thin pieces together to make one heavy piece

I second the harness shops it you have any in your area. Stopped at a harness shop in Ohio where a lot of the Amish live. 2 pieces 1/4 inch thick 8 x 16 for $10.
    Brian