Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lie-Nielsen Website

New Lie-Nielsen Website

Finally! Haven't gone through it all, but nice improvement so far! And, hopefully they ditched using Flash, haven't found any yet...

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/
    Last edited by James Conrad; 10-11-2013 at 9:14 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

They added a lot of pictures of the planes in use (in hands). On the old site it was often hard to tell the size of planes and how/or how they might be gripped. Nicer navigation too. I'd say its a big improvement!

...they have a wish list now! Sweet! An LN wishlist has been on my wishlist.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-12-2013 at 5:30 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Missing a very important category IMO. "What's New" is something I used on the old LN site regularly just as I do with LV!

Blog Entries
    Whew- the iPad diverts you to the mobile page and I thought that was the regular page, which would have been horrible. Once I saw the "go to main site" link I got the nice warm colors and beautiful tool pics back. Awesome. I agree, seems they have more pics of the tools in use.

I also agree with Jamie- they need to add the "What's New" category.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow- that rack of planes in the top right corner complete with the screwdriver set...

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/bench-planes/

Anybody else not able to 'place order' on the new site? Tried it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on my Mac and none of them would work when I pushed the 'place order' button

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Turner View Post
    Missing a very important category IMO. "What's New" is something I used on the old LN site regularly just as I do with LV!
    Yes but it's not like they come out with new stuff that often. Follow a couple of well know bloggers and you'll be kept informed.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Nice improvement. The best addition in my opinion is the "Wish List" - I use it all the time on the LV site to keep track of those items I will add to a future "need order" or when free shipping makes so too easy.....
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    I think the new site is vastly easier to use. Glad they switched to a more conventional layout. Similar to what I have been working on for mine. Much easier to find exactly what you are looking for.

Hi folks, thanks for your feedback on our new website! It's been a long time in the works and we are thrilled to finally unveil it. Of course, there are a few kinks to smooth out. Some people have had issues placing orders so we made changes today to clarify the steps in the checkout process. Also, the slider images on the homepage have replaced the old "what's new" category — though this may change as we continue tweaking the site. In any case, we welcome more of your suggestions (toolworks@lie-nielsen.com) and hope you enjoy our new look!

Cheers,

Robin Macgregor
    Lie-Nielsen Toolworks
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com

Hi Robin,

It's great to see a LN presence here. Overall the new site is a great improvement in navigation and design, not breaking any new web design ground, but a fresh feel for sure. Never invest in flash again please. Nav from the wish list back to previous page needs better nav, text size could be a few pixels larger, would be nice to roll up the large image galleries for tablets to ease nav to main products. Upgrade your YouTube channel so you can pick the end display to only LN videos, or use your Vimeo, a much more professional interface. I'm happy to see a new website, keep it up!
    Last edited by James Conrad; 10-13-2013 at 7:30 AM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blog Entries
    I like easy to navigate front ends whether it be a program or web site. Anything takes some getting used to, but over the long haul, it will be easier to get where you need to go. Based on that, it seems they have quit offering blades for Stanley planes as they used to. I had bought a Record 778 iron from them and am glad I did when I did as it looks like that type of thing has gone the way of the dodo.

I like the search and the new graphics are attractive, but thought some other areas could use improvement:
    - graphics push a lot of content "below the fold" on my web browser window
    - weird split when they have lots of stuff on one long page and when they break into multiple pages with [1/2/3] navigation at the bottom
    - search isn't site-wide (e.g., search for "toothed" and you won't get a link to the toothed blade demonstration video)
    - it would be a good idea if they linked from their tools to any of the related instructional videos (which are a very nicely done resource)
    - the about us should also have a link to one of those videos showing their manufacturing process.... always makes me want to buy from them.

Matt

Looks like they dropped the 98 & 99 rebate planes? They have saved me many times. Other then that, looks like a better website.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Looks like they dropped the 98 & 99 rebate planes? They have saved me many times. Other then that, looks like a better website.
    these? http://www.lie-nielsen.com/joinery-p...et-plane-pair/

Matt