Thread: Post Oak and Sycamore Hutch.

Post Oak and Sycamore Hutch.

Hey folks. I've been itching to build something for myself lately and finally found the time.
    This is a small cabinet I'm calling a hutch because it's going in my kitchen. The upper is to store my food the middle part for a kitchen aid and a few cookbooks and the lower is for dog food and whatever else I can get in there.

The frame/doors and back panels are built out of hundred+ year old post oak that was cut down for an apartment complex. The panels in the doors and the upper and lower panels in the sides are out of a sycamore log that I was able to salvage out of a local tree removal service log pile.
    I didn't want to use plywood for this so there was a bit of re-sawing going on.
    To those that don't know the black streaks in the lower section of the cabinet is from metal being in the tree. The old post oak had ceramic electrical insulators attached to it at some point in it's life.
    Unfortunately when this tree was milled I lost most of this section of the tree because of metal being in it. I had barely enough to finish this project so I decided to use the streaked pieces in the back and lower section of the cabinet.

No fancy joints here. Biscuits in the 45 corners, dowels for the frame and doors, and splines in the back.

The finish is brush on Deft lacquer with final finish from Deft spray cans.

Hardware is from Horton Brass. Still lacking pulls.

Critique is welcome.

DSCN2065.jpg DSCN2053.jpgDSCN2059.jpgDSCN2067.jpgDSCN2040.jpgDSCN2054.jpg
    Last edited by Cody Armstrong; 10-07-2013 at 9:35 PM. Reason: typo in thread title

Blog Entries
    Great looking hutch, beautiful wood, and a great finish........ GREAT WORK.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Looks great! You did a great job on the material selection and the finishing!

Nice! I like the proportions and choice of wood.

Thank you for the nice comments.
    I think it's time to take my skills up a notch. Hand cut dovetails and mortise and tenon joinery is a must for the next project.
    Thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge here.

Very nice work, Cody. I like the proportions, your craftsmanship, as well as your selection of lumber. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

I think you did a great job and certainly to be commended for your use of wood that many wouldn't consider. It is well built and will serve you for many years to come.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Beautiful and unique. Its a great feeling to turn out something that you get to keep now and then . That one will become part of the family.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler