Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt to use my new Powermatic Benchtop mortiser (model 701)/

I thought I would provide an update now that I have finished these chairs and my results with the mortiser. After honing the 1/2" bit, the drilling was easy in the Cypress, once I figured out that I still have to put some downward pressure to get it started. It worked like a charm and is now firmly in my thoughts going forward with mortises. I was previously using a router, but with the angled mortise that was required with these chairs, opted to buy the mortiser (I used a matching wedge under the workpiece to achieve the angled mortise). I love the square edges and the lack of having to square up the mortise, as well as the ease of alignment.

Blog Entries
    I have the same mortiser. I polished the outside of the chisel as well (just like flattening the back of bench chisels). Then you only need to touch up the edge with the diamond cone. I wish there were finer versions of the diamond cone to get a better edge.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I have the same mortiser. I polished the outside of the chisel as well (just like flattening the back of bench chisels). Then you only need to touch up the edge with the diamond cone. I wish there were finer versions of the diamond cone to get a better edge.

I am thinking of buying the two set diamond cones from Lee Valley, the finer one is 350 grit.

Blog Entries
    I have the LV cones. They are nice. I am thinking I'd sharpen like my chisels up to 8000. Admittedly, I haven't had a problem yet. But it stands to reason, sharper is better. I might try to make a brass cone and use diamond paste.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

The Wood Whisperer also has a very good online video on setting up and using a mortising machine. His machine is made by Powermatic but I believe this video is very straight forward as he details in great length the do's and don'ts on setting the bit to chisel distance and an easy way to set it every time. I believe the video is called "Mortiser, I barely knew her." or something like that. Hope it helps!