Thread: Finally got me some "old arn"

Finally got me some "old arn"

Went down and picked this up Sat. Only about an hours drive. Guy was real nice and even helped me load it. Said his dad left it to him and he has no use for it. It was given to his dad years ago.

After I got it home and looked at it more, there's a label on there about an inspection from 1972 from the military. Works out cause he's in a town with an AF base.

I was a little worried when the ad said 220/3 phase. Already had a motor picked out, but when I got home, discovered is a US made Dayton that's 110/220 SINGLE phase. He said he was just going off what he read about it on the internet. Looking at the serial number, it was made in '65.

Going to take it apart, give it a good cleaning, then repaint it. Only thing I see missing is the infeed wheel. Looks like they rigged something up for that. And the outfeed adjust knob is missing. Other than that, I'll proobably change the bearings on the cutterhead as well as the motor. They both turn, but grind a little in the process.

All of this for a cool $120

Thanks to all who helped me make this tough decision

motor.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

Nice machine that will serve you well.
    I use an old, sharp, 1" chisel to scrape table rust off. Takes it right down tot he grain of the iron. Worth a try, and beats sanding it. Use WD-40 as a lube, or a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone.
    Enjoy.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

what size is it?

Thanks for the advice Myk. Will give it a whirl.

Anthony - it's a 6"

Congrats. I always loved the long fences of the old PM's.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You did good Troy.

That will be a good jointer. I suggest you use it before spending money on the 1/2 hp motor, and see if you like the power. I had a Rockwell similar to it. Mine came with a 3/4 hp 3 ph motor on it. Replaced it with a 1 hp 1 ph motor. Ran great with plenty of power.

John

Nice! if you rehab it post the pics. I love the old arn.