Thread: Tempest dust collector find -- any good?

Tempest dust collector find -- any good?

I have been in the market for a dust collector. I found one about 45 minutes from here. The guy has it in storage and could not tell me the model. He said it was a tempest 5hp with the 'filter and everything'. He wants $500 for it.

Any clue as to the model so I can look up specs? Is it worth it? I have a small 19x20 shop with 8ft ceilings but looking to build a bigger shop in a few years. I will be installing duct work in my current shop. Any tips as to checking the condition of it? I am not sure he will be able to plug it in and start it up since it's in storage. Common sense is telling me to require it started up before I buy. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Found this through google.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP1550S.html

Can your electrical system support a 5hp motor?

Mikail

Drat -- knew it would be 240V but it looks like it's a 3 phase motor. I'd have to buy an inverter or other such device. Not sure if it's worth it... any ideas?

Well, a new development: I gave him a call and he claims it is not 3 phase "because he ran it on 220." I said the website listed it as 5hp 3ph 220V. He's going to go by later today to get the model off it and hopefully I can get a better idea. Maybe we have the wrong DC all together or maybe it was offered as a single phase in an earlier time like someone mentioned... or maybe he has the HP wrong. I'd take their 2.5hp or 3.5hp models.
    Last edited by Brandon Davie; 10-07-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Davie View Post
    Well, a new development: I gave him a call and he claims it is not 3 phase "because he ran it on 220." I said the website listed it as 5hp 3ph 220V. He's going to go by later today to get the model off it and hopefully I can get a better idea. Maybe we have the wrong DC all together or maybe it was offered as a single phase in an earlier time like someone mentioned... or maybe he has the HP wrong. I'd take their 2.5hp or 3.5hp models.
    Tell him to send you a picture of the tag on the motor itself.

He gave me a call back yesterday and said it was the 3.5HP model. He got the HP confused with the table saw he's selling. Still a steal of a deal, and the HP/CFM is still north of where I was wanting to be. I had originally arranged to meet with him today because of the poor weather last night, but the weather ended up clearing away so we rescheduled for yesterday evening.

While it was beautiful most of the drive there, it opened up the last 10 minutes to his shop. I brought a tarp just in case so I wasn't overly worried, but I knew how finicky tarps can be if not secured 100% correctly. Thankfully the rain stopped as we were loading it up after I tested it. I secured the tarp and drove home, taking a different route. No rain among the bulk of it, but looking over towards the highway I came in on it was pitch black, so I'm glad I went a different way home. It sprinkled a tiny bit for about 2 minutes near the end of the drive, not enough to matter and the tarp was still magically secured at all ends.

They used a fork lift to get it on the truck. I don't have one of those luxury tools so I unloaded everything I could and was left with the cyclone body, blower and motor assembly. I thought I'd man handle it down from the tailgate to a furniture mover... so that I easily could roll it around until I install it. Got the wheels locked in place and managed to safely move the cyclone from the tailgate to the dolly without damaging my back and more impressively doing it without using the motor for support. Only it did not want to sit on the dolly and not roll around, so I ended up carefully lowering it from there to the ground on some scrap pine.

I did not notice at the time (I need to be more observant!) but the body is actually missing four corner brackets used to mount to the wall. I guess they unbolted the cyclone from the brackets when uninstalling it and forgot to re-attach the brackets. I'm going to give them a call today and see if they can find it... and if not, I'll contact PSI and see if they can't sell me just those parts. I want to buy a remote switch and possibly a muffler from them anyway. I will be likely installing some sort of insulated enclosure around it to help reduce noise.

They have a 7" to 4" reducer on it. Obviously it's better to run 6" mains with 4" drops to the tools right?

Here's a pic. You can make out the filter to the left near the tool boxes.

call them, i have sme system

i have a PSI Tempest 3.5HP also, got it off craigslist (unused still in box), i suggest you call PSI, they have been incredibly helpful supporting me when I had questions about how to best run the ducting and drops and i didn't even buy it from them. i'd bet if you call and tell them you have a Tempest and ask them for advice how to set up they'd be willing to help. that has been my experience.

here is my setupShop 1.jpg

Brandon or Craig,
    I've been considering the 3.5HP unit as well so how well do you like it? Aside from price or finding it used, were there any other advantages of the Tempest over other comparable cyclone systems?

Thanks,
    Brett

Choice was based on great deal found on Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    Brandon or Craig,
    I've been considering the 3.5HP unit as well so how well do you like it? Aside from price or finding it used, were there any other advantages of the Tempest over other comparable cyclone systems?

Thanks,
    Brett
    Brett,

I spent a few months researching and was set to choose between a Clearvue, Oneida, and a Tempest. I thought the Clearvue would be outstanding, but I didn't want to build it (would take me months). I was searching craigslist for good deals on whole systems of Oneida or a Tempest. Between those two, I think Oneida is a higher quality/price point and Penn State Industries Tempest is more of a value level product of perhaps slightly lower quality but still very capable product.

I got very lucky and found a complete 3.5 HP Tempest system with all of the ductwork, elbows, blast gates, flex tubing, hangers, etc. It was all new in the box and it was about 50% off the list price. Sadly, an elderly gentleman purchased it and within a few weeks of taking delivery he got cancer and passed away shortly thereafter.

My choice of the Tempest was very heavily based on the fact that it was a total system, brand new, and 50% off.

That said, it has been an outstanding system in my home hobby setup. My longest run is about 20 feet, so the 3.5HP is probably overkill, but it's nice to have more vs not enough.

Here is a pic of some of the setupShop 1.jpg

Hi Brett,

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to install the unit yet. Spent a long weekend away with my family and spent a couple installing a few circuits throughout my shop (I had been previously working off of one 120V receptacle.) I included a dedicated 30A circuit for this cyclone and will be wiring a remote switch to it (same one Craig has I believe, based on his picture.)

I have everything planned out and will be dismantling the cyclone soon so that I can clean it up good and re-orient the intake/exhaust to fit my new duct system. I'm mounting it near the corner of the shop and plan on piping the exhaust up through the ceiling, over about 4' and connect it to a vent I will install in my soffit. Once it's mounted and wired up I will pull the trigger on the duct work. I have been searching Craigslist high and low since this purchase but no luck. It looks like I will be spending a good 1 and 1/2 times what I spent for the cyclone to get the duct and fittings!
    Last edited by Brandon Davie; 11-06-2013 at 9:32 AM.