Thread: Small Accutcutter

Small Accutcutter

I have two 12 inch metal shears, the traditional New Hermes cast iron style, both with metal cutting blades. They cut great when breaking down a sheet of 12 X 24 inch aluminum.

However as the pieces get smaller they get harder to hold parallel to the blade and keep them from moving around as I cut, resulting in crooked cuts. I use a 10 inch drafting square against the ruler to help keep the piece parallel - it helps lots but when I try to cut a 2 X 4 inch plate into two 1 x 4 inch plates I end up throwing both halves out many times.

Any tips for keeping smaller pieces from wandering?

Also I see that Accucutter have a small unit Model 1001EVO - does this solve the problem or does it just limit your mistakes to 4 inch sized pieces?

Thanks

John Jackson
    Russell ON

I'd be inclined to think that your blades need sharpening or that they aren't the right type for metal. I have an Accucutter 12" and it has very little problem cutting aluminum in a straight line. I make plates by the hundreds in sizes down to .375" wide and can't really say I've had any problems keeping the cuts straight.

I like the Square Idea.... I will use that...

On another topic.... I made a bunch of tags from a old sheet of .030 White 2 sided Aluminum. A 1/16th of an inch of the white fractured off on one edge on a regular basis along the cut line... This made for a problem Sublimating... Then I tried some .045 Single Sided that cut just fine.... That had me wonder... IF the .030 from 2007 that was chipping because of AGE.... Even my Corner Rounder did it... So it must be the Metal...

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

The New Hermes type cutters do seem to torque the metal stock a bit. I bought an Accucutter guillotine a few years back and do get better results. Even there, if I'm cutting a single small piece I use a draftsman's 30/60/90 triangle to square up the material.

But don't discount Gary's point about sharpening the blades--that will help.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had this issue with new cutters, I tend to guide the piece through. Sometimes it torques so bad if it is up against the top guide it crimps the corner slightly. These cutters have been basically unchanged for years, it seems they could improve them a bit, like making a sliding guide for the top that could flip up when not needed or even something as basic as a grid etch to the platen so you could visually see if you were running out of square. The Industrial shears my brother has does share these problems, then again it's not $300....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Marty

My 3001 has this feature: “Flip-Up Hold-Down”
    AccucutterŽ’s exclusive “Flip-Up Hold-Down” is standard on all standard 3001 shears. When in the down position, it automatically applies pressure to the material to facilitate smooth, accurate cutting. When necessary, the hold-down may be flipped up out of the way to permit easy access to the blades.

I would also consider a sticky mat--just a thought--I don't know if it would work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, you got the nicer cutter! I just have the standard blade cutters. The problem with a sticky mat might be that there is not a "flush" edge to trim. I have had issues when the back of the platehad an adhesive strip and needed re-trimming that it sort of had a slight fold.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!