Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a 3 phase saw to trigger a 1 phase DC

Need a 3 phase saw to trigger a 1 phase DC

Bought an Omga 3 phase 220v chop saw off CL. Bought a RPC and the saw runs perfectly. Any ideas on how to trigger a 110v dust collector when I start the chop saw? Thanks in advance. Scott

Scott, you just need a relay. Wire it into one of the legs after the switch. The relay will trigger the power supply for the dust collector. There are all sorts of fancy ways to do this, but the general principal will always be the same. You can find components that will allow the dust collector to run a bit after the saw is shut down for example.

Thanks for your help. I get the relay principle, but I'm confused about which switch you're referring to. The relay goes into one of the legs of the three phase power so when the saw is activated the relay switches power to the DC? Thanks again.

Thats right, I should have specified the relay pulls control circuit power after the saw switch. You'll want a 110 volt control circuit on your relay, to control the 110 volt single phase supply. In a pinch, or if you are so inclined, you could probably power the dust collector off one of the three phase legs directly, but you stand the risk of overloading some part of the circuitry. The relay is the correct way, but technically not the only way.

You could put a current sensor on one of the wires. Wire passes through core of sensor, add a delay on break cube timer so DC will run on for a few seconds to clear the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Thats right, I should have specified the relay pulls control circuit power after the saw switch. You'll want a 110 volt control circuit on your relay, to control the 110 volt single phase supply. In a pinch, or if you are so inclined, you could probably power the dust collector off one of the three phase legs directly, but you stand the risk of overloading some part of the circuitry. The relay is the correct way, but technically not the only way.
    I'm pretty ignorant about 3 phase power. Do 3 phase circuits typically include a neutral? I know single phase 240 v. circuits may not. If no neutral, could Scott use 2 wires to get 240 volt single phase to control a relay?

If possible, a wiring diagram of the various suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think I would install a 2-way, 3-way or 4-way switch for the collector right beside the chop saw.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    If possible, a wiring diagram of the various suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    here's a plug and play solution that doesn't involve electrical engineering:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/index.action

check out their ivac pro line. not the cheapest alternative but they are good products ( i use the ivac switch with a few supporting items to power a DC with both 110 and 220v tools) and their products will accommodate 3 phase tools. their support is exemplary. they've provided me with configuration diagrams enabling me to successfully daisy chain units together to automatically activate both my DC and shop vac with any stationary power tool in my shop. they even replaced a unit that failed and was out of warranty, gratis.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    here's a plug and play solution that doesn't involve electrical engineering:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/index.action

check out their ivac pro line. not the cheapest alternative but they are good products ( i use the ivac switch with a few supporting items to power a DC with both 110 and 220v tools) and their products will accommodate 3 phase tools. their support is exemplary. they've provided me with configuration diagrams enabling me to successfully daisy chain units together to automatically activate both my DC and shop vac with any stationary power tool in my shop. they even replaced a unit that failed and was out of warranty, gratis.

That stuff looks really good, I'd go that way for simplicities sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    A wiring diagram of what is there would be useful to see where a contact could be installed. Plus, depending on what type of dust collector you have, you may not want to turn it on and off with each operation of a saw. Basically you want to work in a timer somehow, but without knowing what is there, it's tough to say how to add to it.

this has been shown before, but it's probably the ultimate in hobbyist shop dust collection:

http://www.americanwoodworker.tv/vid...st-collection/

Looking through the newest FWW, saw an add for www.grngate.com

Looks like they have put together a package kit that includes the sensor coil and gates, I bet they have a solution to start the collector as well. Looks pretty slick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going the Ivac route.

If the tool has a magnetic starter, use a aux. contact to control the DC. This only will work when parts & accessories are avail. for the mag starter,with off-breed Grizzly or the like garbage or obsolete starters problems will occur.