Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a 3 phase saw to trigger a 1 phase DC

Rollie is right on. You need a set of normally open mechanical auxiliary contacts. These contacts mount on the 3 phase motor starter and have the "hot" leg of the circuit your dust collector is on wired to them. So, when the motor starter engages to run the 3 phase saw, the auxiliary contacts close and energizes the dust collector's power. This is really very easy to do, I have wired these sorts of circuits numerous times. It is easier than you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    If the tool has a magnetic starter, use a aux. contact to control the DC. This only will work when parts & accessories are avail. for the mag starter,with off-breed Grizzly or the like garbage or obsolete starters problems will occur.
    Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge.

I have been using a remote controlled DC which works well for me, I just clip the fob to my jeans, but I blew that.

I just bought a used 10hp 3PH DC and I have to run it off of the converter, and it will have to be started first with some tools and second with others. Then I add in the 220 and 110 tools, and I have read enough that I am going to hire an electrician to figure it out. I may see about getting a ten horse single phase motor for the collector so I do not always have to run the converter, and have thought about getting a dedicated Phase Perfect for the DC. All costs money though.......

Wish I knew more about electricity........

Larry

In my old shop, my Dust Collector was 3 phase and I used a rotary phase converter. The sequence was

- turn on RPC
    - turn on DC
    - turn on machine(s)
    - use machines
    - turn off machines(s)
    - turn off DC
    - turn off RPC

For every stinking machine that generated dust. I even did it for the drops for the router table and miter saw. (Well, truth be told - sometimes I didn't for the miter saw... Guilty as charged.)

And, anyone else in the shop had to be told:

- flip the gray switch (RPC) first, then the white switch (DC)
    - turn on machine, use, turn off
    - flip the white switch (turn off DC), then the gray switch (turn off RPC)

I need a better solution in my next shop.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 01-08-2014 at 8:31 PM.

Me too. I was told by a motor guy to start with the smallest motor, then biggest so most tools first except the planer which is bigger than the DC.

My problem is my mind gets distracted from the work at hand with these little details and I have no clue how to make it all automatic with this menagerie. The two things I miss from my commercial building are space and unlimited three phase power. I am on the edge of a large state forest now, so at the end of the line. When I flip on my 50hp converter my neighbors lights dim.

I really like the idea of the Phase Perfects, but its a lot of money that does not really help me do anything that I can not do now.

Larry