Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machine Values - Please Weigh In

Machine Values - Please Weigh In

We are looking to clear out some seldom used tools from our High School shop to a) free up some valuable space & b) raise whatever funds we can to replace/upgrade some things. All tools listed are in working order, but, they do show that they have been in use in a High School setting from 10-50 years. I could use some input on values (whats low end, realistic, best case). Some things I have a pretty good feel for value and others (Sandstar in particular) I really don't have any idea what to ask for. Thanks in advance.

Kuster Sandstar 757
    - 36" capacity, 10HP 3Ph motor. The tracking eye will probably need attention and it could use a hold down roller. Also have the extension tables for it (currently not attached).

Powermatic (81?- no info plate that I can find) Bandsaw - 20", 2HP 3Ph motor. Has a fence that looks to be original to machine. Could probably use bearings other than that good working order.

Powermatic P221 Planer Cutter Head w/ knives and Knife Grinder attachment - dusty but perfect working order

Delta 14" Bandsaw 28-203 - Could use bearings and new upper wheel guard latch

Powermatic disc/belt sander combo - don't have a model number, still in good working order but looks a little rough.

Performax Supermax 25x2 Drum Sander - Good working order, table feed belt could use replacing

Delta Scroll Saw 40-601 - Good working order, nice stand

Full Album Can Be Seen Here -

http://s1046.photobucket.com/user/hi...hop%20Machines

Holding an auction will be the fastest way to get rid of the stuff.
    3PH equipment is hard to sell by the item.

I picked up one of those Rockwell lathes at a school depository sale for $75 but had had to scrap it because I couldn't find a tool rest.

The only machine I know about is the Delta bandsaw they for $3-400.

I've seen pm bandsaws like that in the 600-1000$ range, the delta bandsaw I would say 200-300$ range.

Post the PM grinder over on owwm.org. Guys are always looking for them. 500-1000. Dave

I like the branding on that widebelt.

The sharpie lettering on that WB will probably last longer than the decals SCM uses on some of their machines.

Erik

edit: Ha! Peter beat me to it.
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Location might adjust the prices up and down too, depending on demand. I agree an auction is the fastest way to unload that machinery, especially since it's three phase. You might want to try and sell the large sander by itself though, as I've seen those large items go for literally $50 because very few can handle them. I agree with the prices above.

I'd price that scroll saw at $100 on CL and cross my fingers. The variable speed control commonly goes bad and parts aren't available (I read up on this bc there was one for sale locally for $25 that I considered, but sold quickly). If that PM disc sander is 3 phase, they usually go for $50 or so at auction, again, bc it's 3 phase.

To Matt's point, I would just sell the sander for scrap and focus on selling the smaller tools to private individuals through social media or whatever. Used WB's have saturated the market for some time now. Your other stuff is much more in demand by hobbyists and small shops. Best of luck with all this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for the responses so far gentlemen. Keep them coming. Like I said, trying to make some room and raise whatever funds we can - we're not under any delusions that this stuff is going to fetch a mint. Just trying to price it all at levels that are fair for both parties.

The owwm.org group will contain a lot of folks interested in the middle 4 machines in your group (bandsaws, PM sander, knife grinder), but asking for an appraisal is one of the no-nos on the site. I would suggest clicking onto the for sale section (called BOYD) and use the search tool to see what price others have asked. (I did a quick look for the 20" powermatic and got numbers around 750 - 1200). Like many I am curious what part of the country you are in as that can affect prices. Your sander looks like a mid 60's model 30.

VFDs are now cheap enough that the "3 phase curse" is not a major issue for machines of 2 HP or less: $150 for Teco FM model (good vendor, warrantee), less for the Chinese ones off ebay. Even adding a VFD the PM machines are a steal compared to lower quality new stuff.
    Terry T.

Located in WI

Blog Entries
    No way, no how do you "SCRAP" anything before you have an auction. Get to contacting all the local auction houses and get one of them to donate their time and fees that the seller would normally pay, just earning their 10% buyers fee . then sell them all for more than you can do on eBay or craig. BTW, you don't scrap a lathe just because YOU can't find a tool rest. They are easily available if you look. May not be cheap, but most easily obtained...... The big sander is the only item that won't sell easily or for a lot, check with a few cabinet shops in the area one might want it if price is right.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

The Performax should go for 700-1000. I'd post those and try to sell individually. Those machines are small enough that I think they will sell. People are getting smarter about vfds and the machines look to be in better shape than most auction stuff. Dave

Well, looks like we have decent starting points on everything but the Kuster and the Performax. Any further input on those two machines would be much appreciated. If you have any input about anything else feel free to throw that in as well.

Thanks

I think Daves about right with his estimate on the Performax.