Thread: Trying to decide betweeen a 50 watt Epilog or Universal

Trying to decide betweeen a 50 watt Epilog or Universal

Hello friends: I am going to get a 50 watt laser engraver. Does anyone have any reason to prefer one brand over the other? I will use mostly for regular engraving of my woodwork but also will vector cut out pieces of wood. 50 watt is as much as I will buy at this point. Ordered my Corel x6 today. Thank you.

Pat,

If I was shopping for similar machine I would take good look at Trotec machine as well.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

As would I.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    At the time I was looking (several years back), Trotecs were not as affordable as they are now. So, the decision came down to Universal and Epilog. I selected the Universal because, among other reasons, I like the chuck style of rotary they have compared to Epilog's drag wheel. The GUI was a little more powerful, too.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I own universals and have very little hands on experience with epilog. With that said from reading on the forum it appears as if Universals have fewer problems than epilogs. Usually the problems with epilogs are very easily solved by cleaning the encoder strip and reader. The other problem that appears with epilogs is them needing mother boards replaced which is expensive once out of warranty.

I think both companies make good machines, one difference is the rotarys that each companies makes. If you plan to do a lot of round work one may be better than the other.

Before deciding I would suggest contacting the local reps for each company so you can see them in action. When you go to see them bring samples of what you want to engrave and ask them to engrave it for you.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    Also, tube replacements tend to be more expensive for Epilogs than Universals... though to be fair, the price difference has reduced considerably over the last few years.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thank you everyone! Pat

Like posted above... Support... A deciding factor would be how close is hands on support... And your evaluation of that support...

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

The support for both companies will be excellent. There are some substantial differences in the two machines and how they work. The Universal is a more advanced machine with more options and control over the engraving, however, the Epilog is an easier to use out of the box machine. The engraving quality on both will be about the same for your application. I'm not aware that one machine is substantially faster than the other.

The main difference, unless things have changed, is that the Universal has Job Control and a programmable Z-Axis. I personally would not ever buy a laser without either one of those. I would not buy a machine that works on auto-focus principles, rather than a programmable Z-Axis.

Having said all that, that's my opinion based on my business needs. I can certainly respect anyone else that has a different business and those things might not be as relevant.

Honestly, you couldn't go wrong with either machine. If I had to buy a machine today, it wouldn't be either of those, though.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.