Thread: Walnut carving

Walnut carving

Here is my latest project, and my first attempt at carving walnut. My initial impression was how soft walnut is (at least the piece I was working with). It seemed comparable to basswood in terms of ease of carving. My second impression was that the wood was a little "splintery" for lack of a better description. I had to be extra careful to make good cross-grain stop cuts before cutting with the grain. By the way, this is one of the beautiful pieces of wood that Lou Sansone so generously sent me, so thanks again to Lou.

This is also my first time using a BLO finish. I absolutely love how it looks and feels. Despite my concerns, there were no problems with getting excess oil out of the letters. I made sure to not let it sit too long and get tacky, and the cotton rags I used were absorbant enough to just pull the pooled oil right out. It darkens the exposed end-grain in the letters just enough to add a just the right amount of contrast.

The picture isn't the best, because I'm too impatient to wait until daylight to get a better one. Any comments, criticisms, or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
    Bart
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job Bart. I recognized the carving immediately. I'm a Boilermaker from the class of 78.

Criticise?

Not here bud. I don't think many will appreciate what you've done more than me. Lettering is an art, and you seem to have mastered it. Not just any woodworker can do what you have done. Hat's off.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Owen
    Great job Bart. I recognized the carving immediately. I'm a Boilermaker from the class of 78.
    Hail, hail, to old Purdue! My wife and I both got our undergrad degrees here, now I'm back for my PhD. Notice the big gap at the bottom? I'll add the second degree when (or if) I get through the program. That's a big part of why I tried the BLO, I didn't want to have to carve through a film finish three years from now.

Thanks for the kind words Phil. "Mastered" is pushing it, but I feel like I'm getting a little better with each project.

Bart,

That is a great looking carving! Carving by hand truely is an art and you have showed it well!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"