Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two guys in need of advice, any will be a appreciated.

I find it interesting how often there really isn't anything that compels someone to choose one vendor over another. Sometimes it's simply because they just want to "get it done" and you are the supplier they found first, sometimes just because something about your offerings "catches their fancy" over what your competitors offer even though you charge more for essentially the same product or service.

Sure there are the "soccer moms" who shop around for penny savings, but almost none of my customers seem to have the time or inclination to try to pit one vendor against another (and those that do, I just send elsewhere because I don't care to deal with them).

When I started engraving, I decided what I wanted to offer, set my prices at the lower end of the scale, and worked a lot on promotion and exposure. However, over time, I've pretty much reversed all that and business has skyrocketed over last year. Now I do almost no promotion work, customer demand has re-shaped my offerings, and I periodically compare my own prices and offerings against others' and try to stay on the higher end (but not most expensive) with some distinguishing (and, hopefully, compelling) design and presentation differences to motivate those who are doing a bit of comparing to pay the extra I charge, and those who are simply looking for cheapest price to go elsewhere and not take up my time. I am rather surprised but fortunate enough to get pretty much all the work I can handle (more, actually, eating into evenings and weekends at times) at above-average rates I'm happy with, for services my customers are happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Tell that to dogtagsforkids... I lasered 288 at a time for them and it would only take 104 batches to do 30,000 tags! These were anodized, but even if they were stainless I'd still do them, in fact I'd do them all day long if there was a call for them. Stainless steel and Cermark make me a very happy (and very successful) engraver!
    I thought it was implied that I was talking about stainless steel. I can't imagine someone scoring a job for 30,000 Cermark'd stainless steel dog tags. Wrong machine for the job.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

We used a galvo fibre laser and built a feeding machine to automatically handle the tags, just needed filling every 30 minutes, engraving time was 8 seconds each, took just under 2 weeks start to finish, oddly we got another order 3 days later for exactly the same tag but different artwork for different game company! Happy days and no Cermark
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    We used a galvo fibre laser and built a feeding machine to automatically handle the tags, just needed filling every 30 minutes, engraving time was 8 seconds each, took just under 2 weeks start to finish, oddly we got another order 3 days later for exactly the same tag but different artwork for different game company! Happy days and no Cermark
    We need a LIKE Button here.... Good Job !!!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".