Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two guys in need of advice, any will be a appreciated.

You could look at the iMARC engraver and you could pick up a used one for small money many pet shops have them and also sell the tags on eBay I am sure you could buy a used one for $1000 or so buy tags for $ o.40 to $ o.60 sell them for $5.00+
    Just another option
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank barry; 10-01-2013 at 1:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Does PetCo even have those Epilog-based tag engravers in their store any more? They sere a big hit initially, but once the newness wore off, I never saw anyone standing at the machine since.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Does PetCo even have those Epilog-based tag engravers in their store any more? They sere a big hit initially, but once the newness wore off, I never saw anyone standing at the machine since.
    I don't get in stores often but I did see them. You bought the tag or code at the counter than went to the machine. you would have to sell 8 day at $8ea to gross about $20k. There is a rotary style one on the BX on base, but it is rare I ever see anyone there. Now....... if it did plates for awards and gifts.....it would definitely cut into my business...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

If you or your friend are married, hire a lawyer. I can start the "horror" stories. Knew two guys that were best buds, thick as thieves, I would go so far to say that they had a serious "bromance" going. Everything was casual with a handshake and verbal agreement and it worked great for years until...one guy got divorced and lost his portion of his business to the ex. She ended up running the business into the ground and there wasn't a thing her ex or his bud could do to prevent it. Sound silly? A perfect example is Dale Jr. His dad left his business to his wife (not Dale's mom) and Dale ended up having to drive for a different company because the woman was too pig headed to listen to common sense. 50/50 is not 50/50 when someone has an ex he11 bent on ruing what two bros took years building up just so she could inflict pain. Go INC or LLC.

I had a decent customer a few years ago that was setup the same way. Two guys, partners, rolling in the cash. One went through a divorce, she ended up getting the controlling share of the business and proceeded to let it run into the ground.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

1: Believe in yourself & your product first and foremost, if you don't nobody else will.
    2: Listen to advice but remember most of it is opinion, always treasure facts like gold dust.
    3: Even cheap borrowing isn't cheap.
    4: Your customers pay your wages, you are not doing then the favour by selling to them, they are doing you the favour by choosing you as their supplier.
    5: Most buyers will only ever hear about your mistakes.
    6: Don't plan a week ahead, try at least 3 to 6 months.
    7: Flogging a dead horse will not make it win any races, know when your product is no good and accept it.
    8: Just because "I Can" doesn't mean "You Will", just because "I Can't" doesn't mean "You Won't".
    9: Be available when your customers want you, not when it suits you.
    10: Any major decision should be slept on. Dawns early light shines differently on things.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    1: Believe in yourself & your product first and foremost, if you don't nobody else will.
    2: Listen to advice but remember most of it is opinion, always treasure facts like gold dust.
    3: Even cheap borrowing isn't cheap.
    4: Your customers pay your wages, you are not doing then the favour by selling to them, they are doing you the favour by choosing you as their supplier.
    5: Most buyers will only ever hear about your mistakes.
    6: Don't plan a week ahead, try at least 3 to 6 months.
    7: Flogging a dead horse will not make it win any races, know when your product is no good and accept it.
    8: Just because "I Can" doesn't mean "You Will", just because "I Can't" doesn't mean "You Won't".
    9: Be available when your customers want you, not when it suits you.
    10: Any major decision should be slept on. Dawns early light shines differently on things.

cheers

Dave

Ok, hopefully after this, I won't have to clarify further: These are military style dog-tags for an online community of over 200,000, many of which have expressed interest in such a product. The voracious nature with which these people have snatched up similar products leave us with little doubt as to how popular these will be. I appreciate your help and advice regarding our business plans, and whether or not to go into business with a friend, and I can say that we are taking the proper steps to ensure that our friendship does not complicate our business dealings, and are quite sure that we can cover the costs of the machine in short order.

The reason for creating this post was because we are looking for advice on machinery, not business advice or relationship advice. I appreciate that you guys are trying to help, and we will take what you've shared with us to heart, but what's important right now is to determine what machine to buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Woodward View Post
    The reason for creating this post was because we are looking for advice on machinery
    As a business, you have to make the final decision based upon all of the info you come across (here, and on other sites). A Chinese machine will be significantly cheaper than a Western unit... but it can also cause immense pain when something goes wrong (and it eventually will, no matter what machine you buy). Will your customers be happy if your machine is down for a month because of a broken tube or power supply? No matter how technically inclined you are, you can't fix a broken tube in your garage, and you're at the mercy of the companies who will ship replacements to you.

All of the Chinese machines are cut from the same basic pattern/design. The main differences lie in the controlling software, none of which will be completely painless to learn/use (though some are better than others).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'm sorry I have to smile.... I thought you were talking pet tags..... if you want to do military style then you need a different machine than a laser...something like this. http://www.dogtagmachines.com/?gclid...tr7AodcUoAiQIf your talking anodized dog tags like JDS sells then a laser will work. Roland also sells an impact engraver see this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6h_bNOAIrgSorry for my confusion.....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Be careful on they type of dogtag you plan on engraving, most proper military style tags are stainless steel, this tends to be what people are often looking for, we got a contract to engrave 30'000 dogtags for a popular software game title, BATTLEFIELD 3 i think was the game title, they wanted the proper US Army style dogtags, these are stainless steel, we also did COD Modern Warfare, lots of them !! A CO2 laser will not touch these type of tags. Anodized is another story and you will be fine engraving these with a chinese or western style co2 machine
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Be careful on they type of dogtag you plan on engraving, most proper military style tags are stainless steel, this tends to be what people are often looking for, we got a contract to engrave 30'000 dogtags for a popular software game title, BATTLEFIELD 3 i think was the game title, they wanted the proper US Army style dogtags, these are stainless steel, we also did COD Modern Warfare, lots of them !! A CO2 laser will not touch these type of tags. Anodized is another story and you will be fine engraving these with a chinese or western style co2 machine
    You can't do 30,000 dog tags on a CO2 (well you can but it wouldn't be wise) but if you want to do stainless in smaller quantities, there is always Cermark. That's of course assuming they don't want "traditional" stamped dog tags. Also, if someone got a 30,000 piece order, that opens up all sorts of opportunities, including buying a gantry fiber laser.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Color me Stupid.... I thought it was a PET TAG DREAM with LOGO'S too... I have my Navy Dog Tag on my keys tonight from January 1976... Stainless....

And the Business advice.... My BAD....

AL

Retired Navy...
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    You can't do 30,000 dog tags on a CO2 (well you can but it wouldn't be wise)
    Tell that to dogtagsforkids... I lasered 288 at a time for them and it would only take 104 batches to do 30,000 tags! These were anodized, but even if they were stainless I'd still do them, in fact I'd do them all day long if there was a call for them. Stainless steel and Cermark make me a very happy (and very successful) engraver!

If there are other existing suppliers - the question you have to ask is why customers will come to you and not to them..what do you have to offer that would make your product/services better than theirs?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher