Thread: Review of My New HVLP "Touch-Up" Gun

Review of My New HVLP "Touch-Up" Gun

I have, and absolutely love, my Earlex 5500 HVLP system. But... Sometimes I want to spray something smaller without dragging out the turbine, hose, gun, quart sized can, and hooking it all up. Also, sometimes the parts I want to spray are small enough that the 5500's turbine would just blow them away.

So, I wanted to get something smaller. I've tried airbrushes, but never could quite get the knack. Plus I think they're just too small.

I started looking around and found these "touch-up" guns. I found two basic styles; one looks like some kind of overhand gun, while the other style look more conventional with a gravity feed cup. I decided on the conventional style.

I got this one on Amazon. It's called the Tool Force HVLP Touch Up Spray Gun. It had great reviews and it was only $22.86 so with my Amazon Prime membership shipping was free. I figured what the heck.

Well out of the box it looked pretty darn good. It has a 1mm nozzle so it's perfect for spraying shellac and waterborne poly. Even though it does have an adjustment knob for air flow, I did add an adjuster with a gauge. I filled it with some 1lb cut shellac and test sprayed it on a piece of cardboard. I got it all dialed in very easily. Then I took the plunge and sprayed a small jewelry box I'm making.

I have to say that I am very impressed. It laid down a very nice even finish. And it cleaned up in a snap. I'm sold!! I was concerned because I only have little pancake compressor, but it turned out to not even be an issue.

I highly recommend!

ForumRunner_20130928_174927.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Menards sells that same one under the "Tool Shop" brand, for about $30.

I got it at Menards because I needed one quickly.

I agree it is awesome.

Which gauge did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gottlieb View Post
    Which gauge did you buy?
    I got a 3M Accuspray #16573. Although, since the gun does have its own built-in adjuster, I found that I really wouldn't have needed it.