Thread: What Impact Driver Screw Set Actually Works?

What Impact Driver Screw Set Actually Works?

I'm replacing the wood planking on our deck. This time I'm screwing it down. I'm using an impact driver with a star-type bit. I was in HD buying materials and decided to see if they carried a screw set as I had already over set a few screws. My impact driver is a DeWalt so I bought a DeWalt screw set. It didn't say it was for impact drivers. It just had a picture of what I thought might be a drill, not an impact driver.

The bit kept coming loose and that allowed the screw to set too deeply. This happened over and over. So I took it back and bought a Makita. This one said it was for impact drivers. It works better than the DeWalt but the tip still comes out, just less often. And sometimes the screw drives too deeply.

Does anyone know of a screw set designed for impact drivers that actually does what it's supposed to?

This is the DeWalt I tried first

This is the Makita I now have

Hi Julie,

I suspect the problem may be in the bit you are using. The bit that usually comes with the fasteners is short and has straight sides. However, there are longer bits which have the rounded groove near the back end of the bit that engages the chuck on your driver. I know that Lowes does carry the longer bits. I have the same problem when I use the short bits.

Paul

I can only speak to the bit. I like Bosch's bit. Aggressively grabs the screw head. I've had bits that that became mildly stuck to the screw head. A gentle rocking releases the bit and leaves the phillips pattern on the screw looking pristine.

I wonder how long it will be until manufacturers incorporate a clutch on impact drivers? The impact driver has reduced my drills to primarily drilling holes. However, the impact driver can be a little primitive on tasks requiring a finer degree of control.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I agree with Greg about the lack of a clutch on impact drivers. I find that the impact driver works very well for long, self-drilling screws, especially the star drive type, because there is ample time to stop the tool before it over drives the screw. But I notice that the initial rotational speed of my PC impact driver before it starts the impact cycle is way too fast, making it difficult to control with short screws. I think the manufacturers should redesign these impact tools to make them more user friendly. I also think the bit release collar on the chuck operates backwards on my PC -- you have to pull it out instead of pushing it in toward the tool body. They say they design them that way to prevent releasing the bit inadvertently if the collar comes in contact with the workpiece. However, in my view, this operation is counter intuitive.

Paul

You have to pull out on my Milwaukee impact driver too.

I haven't used it, but is one claims to work and gets good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Ad.../dp/B002GQ3KNK

I like my Milwaukee screw gun for that type work

Greg & Paul have a good point about controllability. That's why I prefer a 10.8/12 volt driver over an 18 volt for most woodworking tasks. For rougher work e.g. deck screws 18 volt and let 'er rip. I've never tried it but I wonder if you could use a drywall dimpler with an impact driver.

for deck work an impact driver is overkill - what you want is a driver with a depth clutch so you do not have to worry about overdriving and can just focus on keeping the bit engaged and pulling the trigger - for smaller jobs I use my battery drill that has a depth driver attachment and if I am going to be doing it for more than a dozen screws then dragging out the Milwaukee drywall screw gun & cord is the way to go - just lean on the drill & pull the trigger till the clutch dis-engages - easy-peasy

I have a few of the Dewalt holders that are designated as "impact" holders and I curse them because they don't let the bit go so I went back to the regular holders and if they break (haven't yet) I will replace.

I think your issue is that you don't have a multi speed impact driver - a clutch as Eric suggests. I use a Panasonic with 6 or 7 settings but I know that Makita makes one too with 3 settings - their model # LXDT01. You can drive torque screws all day to whatever depth in whatever material.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge