Thread: Woodturning and ICDs

Question Woodturning and ICDs

The VA is talking about implanting an ICD (implantable Cardiac Device), in my case an automatic defibrillator. I still have to have some testing to be done to determine if one will work, but the head cardiologist seems to think its that time.

Searches indicate that most, but not all, woodworking equipment is OK. Gas chainsaws are definitely OUT due to their spark system, so I will be looking for a good, heavy-duty electric version. Table saws seem to be iffy (I think maybe it depends on the motor size). Does anyone know about solid recommendations concerning lathes? I currently turn on a Jet 1642 (EVS 1 1/2hp model) and own a Jet 1220VS while my grandson has a Jet 1014 set up in my shop. I'm concerned that on most lathes, the motor seems to be mounted at chest level as part of the headstock. Moving it a couple of feet away should eliminate magnetic field issues.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I do not spend a lot of time turning but I had an AICD put in 2 years ago and have had no problems turning using a Jet1236 or Powermatic 3520B.
    Bernie

Thom,

Ask the VA what model and manufacturer they intend to implant and then contact that company with these questions.

Not all devices are designed the same thus you need to find the answers about a specific device from the manufacturer's engineering department via customer service.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

4. Thom.........we have a gentleman in one of our clubs that had the same issue.........he has a PM3520b. The local reps for the manufacturer came to his home and measured whatever they might have been concerned about with the VFD and motor. There is not an issue with it. My wife is a cardiac nurse and until last year worked in a cardiac device clinic programming and such on ICD's and other pacemakers.........they have not had any issues with a turner and an ICD and most of the newer devices are completely shielded.

The turner I referenced had a write up in the AAW Journal about this.......[you can look it up].....his name is Marsden Champaign { We call him Mars} His unit was manufactured by Boston Scientific. There should be no issues with this for you. The chainsaw is a danger however, because if you suffered and incident while using a one, the chance of severe injury is great........that is the main issue with a chain saw.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thom, it seems like this is a fairly common concern with tradesmen and hobbyists with electric motor driven gear.
    I am a physician, who deals with these devices regularly in the OR, so I feel comfortable in giving you my professional opinion.

Modern AICD's (automatic implantable defibrillators) are certified both medically, by the FDA, and electronically, by the FCC. They must meet stringent criteria for resistance to electromagnetic interference.

Even in the OR, when we operate on a patient with an implanted AICD or pacemaker, we are concerned due to the fact that we are repeatedly zapping them with high frequency electro cautery devices. Those electro cautery devices produce a fairly substantial measurable current to flow through the patient from the point of cauterization to the return pad, which is usually placed on a hip. Unless the point of us would allow the current path to pass directly through the implanted device, there is not a problem.

Rotating magnets (like in lathe motors) produce rotating magnetic fields. Those fields will cause a current to flow in any conductor that it crosses. Because the magnetic fields in lathes (except inside the motor itself) is so weak, there is essentially zero possibility of inducing a significant current in your implanted device, especially with the shielding that it must have. Unless you are close to a very powerful magnetic field, like an MRI machine, you do not need to be concerned.

Hope all goes well with the procedure. They are truly life saving devices if you need one. They have come a long way in the last 20 years. The first ones were scary big, and misfired regularly. Described by those who got zapped, as feeling like getting kicked by a mule. These days though, thanks goodness, if you do get zapped, you won't remember it, because you would likely have been nearly unconscious when it happens anyway.

Best of luck!

Thanks, Doc. That was the kind of info I wanted to hear. As a one time electronics tech and later programmer/network security type I wondered about shielding, both on the AICD and on the lathe electronics. I do think it might be a good idea to not carry a cell phone in a breast pocket.

I will not know any more from the VA until they complete some more tests to determine if they think the AICD will work. I have a follow-up with the head of cardiology Oct 25th, so that is when I will know for sure. What I've been reading online seems to fall in line with what I understand of the reports I've seen on my health and the need for one.

Lately I've been too tired to work in the shop, but that is probably sleep issues (which may be heart related as well) and I have a sleep study scheduled for next week, so there may be a CPAP in my future as well. The AHA document on electrical issues just was not very informative, mentioning only tablesaws when it discussed woodworking equipment, though they do mention electric welding equipment as being a major risk because of the open spark and its closeness to the chest when welding.

Thom, I wrote a request very much like yours 8 years ago when I received my pacemaker. It is not a defib so the risk to me is less. I have had no trouble with any of my woodworking or turning equipment. The unit did manage to record the day I leaned over an operating car engine. I would not go near an arc welder nor an MRI. Other than those items I have had no issues. The newer units are much better shielded and they are close to having units that can go through a MRI. I doubt that your unit will have any effect on your woodworking. Welcome to the club. There are a lot of us hear with those in our chests.

Rec'd my pacemaker Aug 12th. Doctor said minimal risk. I had decided that at my age,[72] I was going to turn and use my other wood working equipment anyway. If you can't do what you want to at this time of life, then what's the point.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cutlip View Post
    Rec'd my pacemaker Aug 12th. Doctor said minimal risk. I had decided that at my age,[72] I was going to turn and use my other wood working equipment anyway. If you can't do what you want to at this time of life, then what's the point.

Larry
    Amen , my feelings exactly!

Just had my second one put in February ,7 years with my first one , Mine is a pacer & defib never have had a problem . I think I turn alot 15 to 20 hours a week at times .