Thread: Ahem... cough cough.... Tool Gloat for my workshop upgrade.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

Ahem... cough cough.... Tool Gloat for my workshop upgrade.

I'm in the beginning stages of going to LifeLong tools in my woodshop. Basically replacing most of my machines with the "final" products that I expect to last me the rest of my days. Lots of European machines coming, and a few that are made in China under serious quality controls. I've also drunk the green koolaid, and replacing virtually all my hand power tools with Festools over the coming months.

After having sold off most of my older machines, the deliveries have started. A liftgate truck brought me a couple of early Xmas presents yesterday!

Now to coerce a couple of neighbors to help get them off their pallets and assist in mounting motors and tables (HEAVY!!!)

Laguna 14X14SUV in its box. Made it into the workshop, no problem. Now to set up!
    Next was the Laguna Italian LT20. No go under the garage doors. After unboxing, a couple of neighbors helped me move this 650lb beast under the doors; get the mobility kit installed, and that's when we ran out of daytime. At least it's in the workshop now. Working on the rest of the setups today. LT20 primarily for heavy resawing, and the 14SUV for detail work.

Boxed Laguna 14SUV.JPGBoxed Laguna LT20.JPGOpen Laguna LT20.JPG

Next up is in early December when I get back from work in Nigeria. Deliveries scheduled for a Hammer A3 41, Laguna 24-36 Revo Lathe, Laguna 6" Belt Sander, and a Jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander. June target for full workshop completion. Stay tuned.

Frank
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    Now to coerce a couple of neighbors to help get them off their pallets and assist in mounting motors and tables (HEAVY!!!)
    I ran out of neighbors very quickly asking for such help. After the bandsaw, CNC, and both metal and wood lathes came in, the area is now conveniently deserted when trucks pull up to the driveway. I'm searching for new friends now since I will have a few more pieces of equipment delivered in the next couple of months...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Congrats on the machinery, but even moreso on the neighbors! Pretty cool having help when you need it!

wait... tossing the sawstop?
    "It's Not About You."

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    wait... tossing the sawstop?
    No no no! Plan on SELLING the Sawstop 3HP PCS and replacing with a Sawstop 5HP ICS. Probably in the spring. Happy with the PCS, but decided to do the upgrade as part of my "LifeLong" tool process. Wouldn't even consider another TS brand... but that's just me!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

No no no! . Wouldn't even consider another TS brand... but that's just me!
    Oh, no, here we go again. (just joking)

As for moving the machines around, as part of my being a hermit, I've become pretty good at moving fairly heavy machines by myself. Just me and my only friend, a harbor freight come-a-long.

One of my best tools is an inexpensive HF hoist. It will do 1400# and only cost $130 on sale. It's in the garage on a large beam, and I unload some pretty heavy stuff all by myself with it.

I was told this weighs about 600#

P3050086.jpg

I could not get under the garage door with this, and had to remove the arm. It's over 400#.

P9120149.jpg

I also removed a Delta edge sander that weighs 800#, but the pics have too many pixels to load here. I just get the load a few inches higher than the truck bed, drive out, and then lower the tool onto a mobile base and roll into the shop.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-26-2013 at 6:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    One of my best tools is an inexpensive HF hoist. It will do 1400# and only cost $130 on sale. It's in the garage on a large beam, and I unload some pretty heavy stuff all by myself with it.

P3050086.jpg P9120149.jpg

Rick Potter
    Now that's a radial arm saw and a half.

No no no! Plan on SELLING the Sawstop 3HP PCS and replacing with a Sawstop 5HP ICS. Probably in the spring. Happy with the PCS,
    Doh! sorry, mixed up the Hammer number that you posted and was thinking of the Hammer sliding TS.
    "It's Not About You."

Frank, congratulations on your tool purchases. Most of us only dream of being able to do what you're doing!