Thread: Finishing a humidor

Finishing a humidor

Hi everyone,

Looking for a little advice. I'm almost finished building a humidor (about 13" x9"x 5") our of 3/4" cherry with a plywood bottom. I will be lining the inside with some Spanish cedar from old cigar boxes. My question, is how best to finish the box.

I've read that the inside of the box should be left unfinished to allow the wood to help regulate the moisture level in the box. I'm also worried that the odor from a finish inside the box will affect the cigars. But, I'm concerned if I varnish just the outside of the box and leave the inside unfinished, that I might get warpage over time in the lid or walls of the box, especially given the higher than normal humidity inside a humidor. Thats a problem as it is supposed to be somewhat airtight.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Bump. Anyone?

One possible solution would be to line the inside of the box with a thin (color?) let''s say white, plexiglas. Use silicone to adhere glass to all sides including the top & bottom and then put the cedar liner in the box.

I have two on my to-do list. This is how I plan on handling this.....I have used a two part epoxy on shaving brush handles with great success. I treat it just like people apply ca finishes. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...12-oz-Kit.aspx That said I was planning on making the box and applying something similar to the the entire inside. Then adding the spanish cedar. This may be overkill but it was my plan. I figured this would lock the humidity and keep the box from warping.

I sprayed mine with lacquer, let it sit for a few days and loaded it for bear. Been in use for over 10 years. Do not finish the inside, that would be a mistake.