Thread: Lots of Errors - But So What?

Blog Entries

Lots of Errors - But So What?

Mistakes were made... No one to blame... Some lessons learned.

This was made with scraps, firewood, cutoffs, pieces from the Home Depot cull wrack and some burl bought from the scrap bin at Crosscut Hardwoods in Portland, OR.

There was a bit of extra space on one of my shelving units.

100_5015.jpg

This was originally made as a bookshelf. A friend cut the dados with his radial arm saw more than 20 years ago.

It has been repurposed as tool storage. The extra space above the accumulation of combination/multi-planes looked like it would be a good place to put some small drawers.

One of the mistakes was the dividers between the drawers. I was thinking of just having a curve slightly proud of the drawer fronts. Then I decided to get fancy. A template was cut and so were the dividers:

Drawer Dividers & Template.jpg

After a nights sleep, this morning I realized the error of my ways. Decided instead of recutting them they would stay as a reminder of why not to do it this way.

My tools storage is an evolving mess subject to revision at a moments notice. Well more than a moment since it takes time to rework the wood.

All in all they don't look too bad.

Until Then.jpg

The sides are attached to the burl fronts with half blind dovetails. The center drawer was actually made to be a box/drawer years ago just to try half blind dovetails. The two drawers on the left and two on the right were made with pieces of burl that were big enough to split to make book matched faces.

Here are a couple of the pictures during the work:

Sawing Dado.jpg

One of the things to love about the Bishop #10 saw is being able to set the back to the depth of cut.

Crank Neck Chisel.jpg

Router planes are handy, but a crank necked chisel is really helpful when making stopped dados.

The tops of the dividers are beveled to help guide the drawers back in to place when they have been removed.

Beveling a Divider.jpg

Here are left and right detail pictures:

Left Detail.jpgDetail Right.jpg

Comments and polite criticism is welcome.

Thanks for looking

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Spontaneity in storage is good ! The OSB back combined with burl ,great study in scale, pattern, and humor.

I like the drawer fronts that would make me smile if had them in my tool cab,I got no complaints it looks more functional than I what I got.And since you only show your hands in the pics you lose just a little mystique.

Nicely done, Jim.. I've been thinking about a cabinet for 6 months or more now but am stuck in analysis-paralysis. Kudos to you for going with it! :-)

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Nicely done, Jim.. I've been thinking about a cabinet for 6 months or more now but am stuck in analysis-paralysis. Kudos to you for going with it! :-)

Jim in Alaska
    Thank you.

Analysis-paralysis is a well known companion and confidant. This addition has been spinning around in my head for some time. My tool storage seems to stay in flux. My plan so far of keeping it changeable seems to work. The shelves in the middle with planes on them are just on cleats. My plan is to build a more compact way of storing planes and building a saw till in a door. Somehow a rack for chisels and gouges needs to fit in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

With all the Combi-planes rattling around, you could cut every groove to a different thickness -
    without changing irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    With all the Combi-planes rattling around, you could cut every groove to a different thickness -
    without changing irons.
    No kidding....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    without changing irons.
    There are actually a few more running around the shop since they won't fit on the same shelf.

Often two or three of them are set up with different blades for the same job.

The #50 is pretty much set up with a 1/4" blade and left that way for drawer bottoms.

jtk

Your mention of analysis-paralysis reminds me that it took me nearly a life-time to get what's behind 'the better is the enemy of the good'...

Cheers,
    Joerg

Sure you've got enough combination planes there, Jim? I mean - they're leaning over. Get them upright, and you could probably fit in two-three more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Sure you've got enough combination planes there, Jim? I mean - they're leaning over. Get them upright, and you could probably fit in two-three more.
    They have the rods and fences on them. They actually take less room set at an angle.

Occasionally my thoughts ponder on a more compact storage method. They take up less room when disassembled. That may be the way to go, but sometimes it is nice to have them already set up if a lot of the same cut is going to be made.

jtk

Blog Entries
    How did this two year old thread reappear? Just Curious

Two? I'm counting almost six.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How did this two year old thread reappear? Just Curious
    It was likely mentioned in my Filed But Not Forgotten post. The first row of drawers led me to consider adding more drawers in my ever evolving tool storage endeavors.

jtk