Thread: Outboard turning on powermatic 90

Outboard turning on powermatic 90

Trying to setup for outboard turning on a 1966 pm model 90. Outboard spindle is a 1.25 by 8 left hand thread. I have a hurricane 125 which I would like to use on the outboard spindle. Any suggestions as to where to get an insert for the hurricane 125 which would allow its use on the outboard spindle. Thanks for any help on this one.

Bill, if you haven't already done so, I recommend putting in a call to Steve Fulgoni at the Woodturning Store on Monday. http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/ He's also on SMC, so may be able to jump in here. The HTC Hurricanes are his babies, so if anyone has a lead on this, it would be Steve.

David

Bill, IIRC the outboard spindle is 1 1/8" x 7 tpi left hand thread. It is one of, if not THE, most odd spindle thread out there. Steve is a PM90 guy, so, I'm sure he will feel your plight of wanting an insert to fit your HTC125. Give him a call or email him.

IF he doesn't have the insert, or IF he can't get you one, Oneway does make the insert, but you'll have to get a Oneway chuck to go with it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

My PM90 is definitely a 7tpi, and there are a pile of other 90's (ranging from 1960 when mine was made up through the 80's) that have the 7tpi on the outboard side. The rumor is that the literature on the 90's states that they are 8tpi, so there may very well be some of those out there. I have not checked this out myself, but I would strongly recommend you check your threads before you order anything. Good luck.
    --Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hermann View Post
    My PM90 is definitely a 7tpi, and there are a pile of other 90's (ranging from 1960 when mine was made up through the 80's) that have the 7tpi on the outboard side. The rumor is that the literature on the 90's states that they are 8tpi, so there may very well be some of those out there. I have not checked this out myself, but I would strongly recommend you check your threads before you order anything. Good luck.
    --Mike
    The literature does say that its 8tpi. Here's the link: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/1284.pdf