Thread: Dunno what this means for us laser users..looks promising...

Dunno what this means for us laser users..looks promising...

Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    The article is amazingly short on details. Some more came out in the comments, but I'll let one of the commentors sum it up for me:
    It's all rather vague, isn't it. From the little information I have seen, the invention is not a laser but an optical filter put in front of a laser beam. The filter, it seems, works in the same way as a liquid crystal display you get on TV's or even watches. The transparency of the filter is controlled by electrical information fed in through a digital connection.
    To answer your question, Rodney, I'm not really sure what it means, if anything. For us, that LCD would have to be made out of a material that's transmissive to CO2 wavelengths... not difficult, I suppose. But the liquid crystal itself, however, may prove a bit more of a challenge... the losses at that interface may prove troubling, but we'll see.

Also, it's not clear what they were accomplishing with this new filter. Are they trying to do a macro-shaping of the beam to move away from Gaussian profiles, or are they trying to do micro-shaping to deal with fringing and such issues? To get the type of beam control for micro-shaping would require extremely fine cells on the LCD (sub-wavelength levels).

I guess until more info comes out, it's all academic (no pun intended).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would expect an LCD spatial filter approach to be limited to low power applications. Maybe it could be used in a pump laser to modify the mode of a higher power system.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

From what I understand they've found a way to change the properties of a beam without switching out optics. So, no more swapping out different lenses for changes in focal length, for example, which means a digitally controlled variable focal length would allow more dynamic changes in spot size. And that's just for a start I would think. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Jason Hilton; 09-18-2013 at 2:01 PM.

Could it mean...never having to clean lenses again...now that's dreaming.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    From what I understand they've found a way to change to properties of a beam without switching out optics. So, no more swapping out different lenses for changes in focal length, for example, which means a digitally controlled variable focal length would allow more dynamic changes in spot size. And that's just for a start I would think. Pretty cool.
    Where did you see that? An LCD panel won't allow you to change focal lengths, just output beam shape... there's no refraction going on.

From the limited amount of information it seems to be digital beam profiling rather than multiple lens set ups. As to benefits....hard to say, possibly longer depths of field or better TransV modes.More likely to be applicable to low energy lab lasers than high power cutting lasers though.
    Full spec lasers already have electronic beam profiling that is adjustable from the controller via moving lens's so I'm not sure where the *gain* is by using LCD's on cutting power levels.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Looks like my initial macro-shaping comment was the target. From the paper's abstract:
    Consequently, most laser systems are designed for the ubiquitous Gaussian mode, whereas it is clear that there are many instances when a customised mode would be preferable.
    Sounds cool, but I do worry about the usefulness for anything other than "benchtop" power levels, as Dave says...
    an electrically addressed reflective phase-only spatial light modulator as an intra-cavity holographic mirror. The phase and amplitude of the holographic mirror may be controlled as simply as writing a new gray-scale image (computer generated hologram) to the device: on-demand lasermodes.