Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with new Laguna 14/12 bandsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    I do have 220v. available in my shop but after a lot of saving, my budget tops at $1500 and not a penny more (everything included, mobility base, breakers, cord, delivery, taxes, etc.). I plan on getting a bansaw within the next 30 days, since I need it for a project I am working on. I want 12 resaw or larger, every other feature I could live without; although giving up the brake option would not be easy.
    This looks like an interesting way to save $100 on the mobility base: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Univ...ile-Base/D3757

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    My advice on band saws is usually the same: resawing wide boards is not fun and the capacity is over-rated. Ripping stock to 6" or less, resawing, then jointing is a less stressful, more forgiving way to go about making thin boards.
    I don't know Loren; I can, and do, routinely cut my own veneer up to 16" wide (and 3/32" thick) and I quite enjoy doing it. The right saw and setup is key, but I would never advocate ripping wide boards just to be able to resaw them. If you're interested search through my older posts for pics and details of my setup.

Can either of the saws actually resaw a board that is as wide as its capacity? The capacity they list is the max distance from the table to the top guide.

Are the saws stiff enough to put enough tension on a blade to rip through wood that thick? And also is the saw powerful enough cut through wood that thick? I know with smaller, cheaper bandsaws neither the frame is stiff enough nor the motor powerful enough to cut wood to the full capacity.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Hey guys, I have been using a Laguna LT14SE in my shop for about nine years now. I am still happy using it for resawing and cutting tenons. My saw currently has a 1" resaw king and a 6" tall fence. Cutting 10" white oak boards smoothly is not a problem. If the workpiece is pressed firmly against the fence and i keep a slow and steady speed throughout the entire cut, the results are so smooth. The ceramic guides and bearings are holding up really well. I just wish that it has more well thought out easy to use fine tuning adjustments such as in sawstop table saws. Also if I align the blade correctly, I have absolutely no drift on this saw. You should do well with a Laguna.

Lester, I just placed an order with Woodwerks for the 14/12. They informed me the actual re-saw capacity is 13" not the advertised 12". On the flip side, the saw is shipped with no blade; you have to buy your own (which they sell, although I opted to buy a much cheaper woodslicer from Highland Woodworking to get me started: I haven't done enough research on blades yet).

They also indicated that the saw would resaw hard woods at full capacity no problem. I can't confirm any of these statements because I don't have the saw yet, but at least that's what they stand for. They have been very good at answering my questions and making the purchase go smoothly. Plus everything is on stock and ready to ship. Hopefully delivery and set up will go smoothly as well!

There is a 2y warranty on the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Lester, I just placed an order with Woodwerks for the 14/12. They informed me the actual re-saw capacity is 13" not the advertised 12". On the flip side, the saw is shipped with no blade; you have to buy your own (which they sell, although I opted to buy a much cheaper woodslicer from Highland Woodworking to get me started: I haven't done enough research on blades yet).

They also indicated that the saw would resaw hard woods at full capacity no problem. I can't confirm any of these statements because I don't have the saw yet, but at least that's what they stand for. They have been very good at answering my questions and making the purchase go smoothly. Plus everything is on stock and ready to ship. Hopefully delivery and set up will go smoothly as well!

There is a 2y warranty on the saw.
    Looks like we're in an exclusive club Augusto, I ordered mine today too I spoke to Todd at Woodwerks and placed my order a few hours later for the saw and the mobile base (already let the family know the light would make a great Christmas gift, lol). Todd told me the resaw capacity was something like 12 13/16" (forget the exact fraction), but Laguna just rounded down in all the literature. I requested delivery the week of Sept. 30th as I'll be off from work.

I knew about the blade and had been reading up on what people thought of different brands. I've heard alot of good things about Dimaster blades by Lenox, noting that http://woodcraftbands.com was a good fair priced place to buy. Todd's suggestion for a good, all around blade to start with is a 3/8" with 3-4 TPI. I would also like to get a blade for resawing, but wanted to know whether Todd recommended a 1/2" over a 3/4" for any reason with that saw so asked the question in the comments box in the order and I'll wait to see what he says. The 3/8" Lenox blade is $2.75/ft - $27.50 for 115" blade. Here's a link to 1 forum page discussing them: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...i-Metal-Blades.

Did Woodwerks tell you the warranty is 2 years? When I spoke to Laguna who gave me Woodwerks as a distributor, they told me it was 1 year and the owners manual says the same thing on page 8.

Good luck to both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Sak View Post
    Looks like we're in an exclusive club Augusto, I ordered mine today too I spoke to Todd at Woodwerks and placed my order a few hours later for the saw and the mobile base (already let the family know the light would make a great Christmas gift, lol). Todd told me the resaw capacity was something like 12 13/16" (forget the exact fraction), but Laguna just rounded down in all the literature. I requested delivery the week of Sept. 30th as I'll be off from work.

I knew about the blade and had been reading up on what people thought of different brands. I've heard alot of good things about Dimaster blades by Lenox, noting that http://woodcraftbands.com was a good fair priced place to buy. Todd's suggestion for a good, all around blade to start with is a 3/8" with 3-4 TPI. I would also like to get a blade for resawing, but wanted to know whether Todd recommended a 1/2" over a 3/4" for any reason with that saw so asked the question in the comments box in the order and I'll wait to see what he says. The 3/8" Lenox blade is $2.75/ft - $27.50 for 115" blade. Here's a link to 1 forum page discussing them: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...i-Metal-Blades.

Did Woodwerks tell you the warranty is 2 years? When I spoke to Laguna who gave me Woodwerks as a distributor, they told me it was 1 year and the owners manual says the same thing on page 8.

Good luck to both of us!
    Thanks for the tips! Yes I was told 2y factory warrant, but if it says 1y in the manual and by Laguna, we probably should double check with Woodwerks.

Indeed, good luck to the both of us! I should be taking delivery early next week, but probably won't be able to get to assembling it until the next weekend.

8. I use the Laguna for resawing. The carbide blade is terrific. I comonly cut 3/16" slices from 10" Wenge, maple and mohogany. When we purchased the saw the blade was included. Ours has the 220 volt motor. I did not beleive it could do the things that we do daily! I recomend spending the extra $$$ if you sell your work.

9. I have not had issues withe the band saw, but the Laguna cyclone has blown several start capacitors (my assistant turns away when turning on). The customer service has been responsive and comitted to our being satisfied. I don't want to replace the motor, but they are willing to do so. I've asked Laguna to test the start capasitors they have in stock, before sending another. They had me check the shop's voltage. It was fine. Meanwhile I purchased a capasitor from Granger that was similar specification, but too large to fit inside the housing. It functions normally with no heat build up. So I don't think the motor is the problem. Brian answers the phone when I call and knows his equipment. My point: CS is very good in our experince.

Michael, thanks for the info. Good to hear CS is good from someone who's needed it.

I ordered the 3/8" Laguna ProForce and 5/8" Laguna Shear Force blades. At some point I may get the carbide Resaw King, but $200 for a blade on top of the cost of the saw and base isn't an option right now.

Great to hear the positive feedback!
    Last edited by Lester Sak; 09-21-2013 at 10:21 PM.

The blade will last a long time and won't have issues with abrasive wood. However I've heard bad reviews about resaw kings, but good reviews about Woodmaster CT. The only downside of Woodmaster CT is the blade doesn't cut as smoothly as resaw king.

I tried my 201 hardback carbon blade for a small resaw work and worked fine.

So, here it is. A couple of very good friends helped me with assembly and taking it down to the basement. Still need to fine tune it, but on my first test cut it worked like a charm. It's very quiet and smooth. I think I am going to enjoy this saw very much!
    Laguna.jpg

Congrats Augusto. Please keep us updated with your findings.

I saw a preproduction 14|12 a few months ago in Laguna's warehouse. From what I remember it looked very nicely built.

After a summer of waiting, I am now on the fence. For less than a 14SUV, my brother just bought a really sweet (and insanely more massive) used 24" Invicta bandsaw. This has me thinking that I should hold out for a vintage 16" machine (i.e... Walker Turner w. upgraded 110v Baldor motor) to replace my 14" Rockwell.

As soon as I come to my senses, I will probably buy a 14|12...or better yet - borrow my brother's Invicta for resawing.

Good looking saw. Have fun tuning it and resawing.