Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Bench Cabinet for Adjust-A-Bench

Project: Bench Cabinet for Adjust-A-Bench

After communing with lots of mortar for most of the long holiday weekend, I finally got started on the tool cabinet that is destined to live under my Adjust-A-Bench setup. (threads: A B C ) The intent is to get all of my hand tools and layout stuff in one central location...under the bench as well as to stiffen up the whole shebang and add mass. I already made the feet for this project a couple weeks ago; today marks the beginning of the cabinetry.

This project also marks the first really concentrated use of the Festool MFT/ATF55 combination. While I still ripped the sheet of plywood on the table saw, virtually all other through cutting was done at the MFT...and I really enjoyed the ease of material handling and accuracy, especially since this cabinet has the "top" corners mitered to show continuous grain.

This is not a big piece...width is 48", depth is about 18.5" and the height is 20.5". It cannot be taller as it needs to allow the bench-top to be lowered to the top of the legs when that configuration is desired. There will be three sections; likely the center one with drawers for chisels, etc. and at least one open cabinet. I haven't decided on that yet...and am building this project by evolutionary method...starting with the external size and figuring everything else as the project progresses. Today, I completed the carcass and back. Next weekend, I'll work on the "business end" of the cabinet.

Obligatory Pictures:
    1. Of all projects, I get a piece of inexpensive birch plywood from the 'Depot and have a nice 18" strip of very figured stock in just the right place to make the sides and top with continuous grain. Yea, a lot of it will be somewhat hidden, but I'll know it's there!
    2. Cross cutting of the panels was done at the Festool MFT. (Multi-Function Table) In this picture, I'm cutting a 45º bevel to allow the sides and top to have a continuous grain wrap at the corners since they will be exposed.
    3. Once the bevels were cut, the sides were cross cut to final height with the ATF55 plunge saw using the fence stop to make them exactly the same length.
    4. The bottom of the cabinet sits in a rebate in the sides which was cut at the table saw using a dado set. Note the sacrificial fence and feather board in use to protect the fence and keep the stock flat on the table during the cut. Dados were also cut in inside of the bottom and top panels to accommodate two partitions.
    5. Said partitions were installed first into the bottom panel with glue and a rubber mallet for "persuasion" and then the ends were installed using glue and a few finishing nails. A couple screws were also countersunk in the middle of the joint...they will not show once the cabinet is between the Adjust-A-Bench's leg sets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Additional pictures:
    1. Clamps were used to insure alignment of all the parts as the mitered corners were glued and reinforced with some unobtrusive glue blocks. A few finishing nails in the middle along with a few screws further reinforce the joint...they will not show
    2. The back panel was installed and then an overlay faux frame and panel treatment was attached. (Same technique I used in our kitchen renovation for the cabinetry details and some cabinet doors) In this case, the overlays are 1/2" poplar with a 15º beveled edge. These pieces are spot glued and pinned in place. Please note that if this was a piece of cabinetry intended for furniture use, I would have been sure to orient the grain of the back panel vertically. However the piece of scrap 1/2" plywood I pulled out of the rack was not suitable in size to accomplish that for this project. I can live with it here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-30-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    --

Jim,

You will get a lot of use out of that cabinet...Great photo/verbal explination. A bench is such an important part of the shop...It is a great idea to expand and improve it. Even the back is terrific...looks great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It looks like you are making good progress on a very useful cabinet Jim. Thanks for showing the steps. I can almost feel like I was there watching.

I see that, just as I do, you like working with an open door in good weather.

Jim, I missed the first installments on the Adjustable bench back in November, prior to me finding SMC. That is a very nice versatile bench and the cabinet will make it even nicer. I enjoy your step by step commentary and your quality of work as well.

Corey

Jim, Thanks for the great write up on this project ;very interesting to see how you do things. The one shot you took that points to your outside door is a beauty. It looks like your shop is located in a bit of heaven. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Nice informative job, Jim
    BTW...it that blue-green hose in the background part of your still?
    regards
    mike

Jim,

Thanks so much for the step by step with pictures. They are always so helpful in the learning curve for many of us.

That is a good looking project and a useful one at that.

Cheers

Jim, the cabinet looks great. Always love to see your pictures, I always feel like I'm in the shop with you,LOL. Do you use the self timer or does Dr. SWMBO take the pictures of you?

Richard

That looks GREAT Jim, along with the flagstone you hacd a very good weekend around the house!!!

Great progress, Jim! Looking real good but, I do have one question, per your last picture: Isn't the cabinet supposed to be below the benchtop??? Seriously, you're giving me reason to take a second look at my own bench and maybe reconsider putting a cabinet there. I've already got too many planes to continue with the same scheme as I have now. I'll keep looking for continued project pics, so that I might steal.....errrrrr....get some ideas for my own.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim, It's Lookin Good!!
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Do you use the self timer or does Dr. SWMBO take the pictures of you?
    I use the timers on both my D70 and my CoolPix S1 (the latter is a tiny little thing packing 5mp and is my new travel camera) to take the "action shots". Half the time it's acutally during the cut and the other half "posed" to be sure that things can be seen easily. It only takes a couple extra minutes per day to do these pictures and makes for nice documentation and conversation.
    --

Jim
    Nicely detailed - able to understand and follow along with all the information.
    And a neat idea.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Nice cabinet and good write-up of the process. I'm somewhat late coming to the party, but the Adjust-A-Bench looks like just the ticket for my poor old back. (Yet another great education from the SMC gang.) I'm afraid the bench is a bit out of my price range for now, but there may be something I could rig with my existing bench. I noticed they sell the leg set alone, but even that's a bit out of budget for now. Thanks for sharing.

- Vaughn