Thread: Have you cleaned you collet today ?????

Have you cleaned you collet today ?????

I have really never thought much about cleaning the collet on my routers, just wipe them out and go.....

Then when I got my Precision Collet and Nut for the PC 75618 it came with a bottle of ColletCare and instructions on how to use it.

It states you should do it every week but I will admit I don't do it every week but I do clean it often, like ones a month.

I found that after I stated using the ColletCare and cleaning my collets they sure work better. I had cleaned the Precision Collet one of two times and then I thought how about my other routers.

Wow, I could not believe how bad they were, the little Dewalt 611 was a mess, after I cleaned it up with the ColletCare it was like a different collet, bits went in and out much easier and they tightened much easier. The collets on my Bosches were not much better, rust and junk in the spindle and on the collet.

I have now cleaned all the collets on my routers and keep them clean and they work so much better.

I have no connection with PreciseBits at all, I just own one of there great collets.

Here is their write up on maintenance of the collet and spindle.
    http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials...eprocedure.htm

You can get a bottle of ColletCare for about $14 and it last for years.
    http://www.precisebits.com/products/...colletcare.asp

I wonder what is in the stuff. I have only cleaned by collets w/ compressed air.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I wonder what is in the stuff. I have only cleaned by collets w/ compressed air.
    Combining a solvent, low viscosity lubricant and a small amount of PTFE / colloidal boron nitride.

Now don't ask me what all that stuff is.

I always check the collet for for dust and debris build up every bit change. It only takes one time having a bit come out on you because of not keeping the collet clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I always check the collet for for dust and debris build up every bit change. It only takes one time having a bit come out on you because of not keeping the collet clean.
    Do you unscrew the collet and check the spindle? That is where I found the most junk and rust and I think that is why after cleaning the bit tightens up easier.

Yes I remove the collet completely.

I got that collet juice also, it's surprising how much dirt comes out.

Bill,

I have never heard of the Precision Collet. Interesting. Just curious why you needed it. Was your old one scored or worn out?

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Bill,

I have never heard of the Precision Collet. Interesting. Just curious why you needed it. Was your old one scored or worn out?

Rick Potter
    http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm

I got one for my small pin router bits. I use down to 1/16 and they last pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Bill,

Rick Potter
    What started it out was when I got the 7518 it was so hard to get the bits in and out and I wanted something better then that. To take the bit out you had to remove the collet and pull on it with both hands to get the bit out. I started looking and found the Precision and would not go back to the old collet now. I did find the problem with the collet that came with the 7518, it was the wrong snap ring on top, it was to small.

Now that I have the Precision I just could not go back, it is so much better then a normal collet. I like the wrench that is used on it. To release the bit you use the wrench to undo the first step and then with your hand you can make the last turn to release the bit.

On the normal collet there are like 4 parts that come in when you tighten it down against the bit. With the Precision there are 8 of them which makes it much smoother.

11. I also use a Precision collet on my 7518 and love it. The stock collets have *LOTS* of run-out. I tried a few and they're all bad. The router runs much soother with the Precision collet. It's especially noticeable with large or tall bits.

Pretty nice collet. It's a shame that I found Festool routers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    Pretty nice collet. It's a shame that I found Festool routers.
    Just don't ever lose the festool collet or throw it out like I did. $60 shipped!!! YOUCH!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

At our shop we clean basically all the mating surfaces with a combination of kerosene and oil in a spray bottle. The drill basically is disassemble, blow out with compressed air, wipe down, and reassemble. If it has gotten a bit of rust from sitting around a bit (this is Louisiana we're talking about) it gets a quick spray and scrub with scotchbrite. The biggest nightmare is fighting with something that is grungy and refuses to come apart.