Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper mill boring bit

Pepper mill boring bit

I recently ran across an ad for a specialty item for boring the first two steps of a pepper mill. It was pretty nice but I cannot seem to find it again.Does anybody know more about it or better still, own one and could tell me where I can find it? Really appreciate any info that I can get my hands on.
    Thanx,Greg

Never mind, I found it. It is made by Woodcut Tools if anybody else was curious.
    Greg

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/pr...9b732a454e3522

I'd be interested in a review if you choose to purchase it.

The cutter works really well. I have a friend who specializes in turning peppermills and I had a chance to use it. It certainly makes things much easier and takes less time.

Michael

Dan,
    I will let you know cause I'm ordering one tomorrow.

Michael,
    Does it have a 1 1/16" pilot and does your friend bore is 17/16" through hole with a forstner bit or with a twist drill. I cannot seem to get my hands on a "straight" drill extension. I was thinking about getting a 17/16" drill bit with a #2 Morse taper built in.
    Greg

Greg:
    If I remember correctly he drills a 1” through hole. He bought a special bit with an extension for that. That bit is special because of the design. It keeps cooler and stays sharp quite a bit longer. I'm having coffee with him on Tuesday so I'll get the details and post it then.
    Michael

You mite check-out the one Woodcraft sales been told their the best drill system for Pm. I believe this system has the extension with it and the bit's mount with just a 1/4 turn no set screw's.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Hi Greg,
    I can understand that it is nice to have the exact sizes of drill bits for pepper mills! But, there are many different mills and the manufacturers like to use their proprietary drill sizes?...
    Unless you are going into large numbers production, it really is quite easy to drill undersized holes with the bits you have and then enlarge the hole to the desired size. Remember the end holes are not deep and a 1/4" parting tool easily enlarges the holes.
    Even the through hole can be drilled from both ends to meet in the middle with a regular 1" Forstner bit.
    I have made an extension with a 3/8" hole in one end for the Forstner bits and 1/2" shank for the Jacobs chuck, it is made from 5/8" steel. It is about 8" long and is great for the Crush Grind 12" mills I have made.
    Good luck with your mills.
    hi Michael!!
    Peter F.

I was curious - has anyone used spade bits for the through hole in mills? Tom Hintz gave a review on them and had good success ( http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/brapfeedrvu.html ). I have a couple of mills to make (my first) and don't want to invest in high quality Forstner bits of boring systems yet.

Mike

www.peppermills.co.za
    its call a milldrill
    Last edited by Rian de Bruyn; 09-17-2013 at 2:21 PM.
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it

Greg,
    Good thread. I ordered one of these Milldrills. The concept makes great sense to me. It uses 1/4" high speed cutters. I use that type cutter in my hollowing tools. They are easy to sharpen and can be tweaked to make the exact size hole you need. Forstner bits make a great cut but are a pain to sharpen. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this unit works.
    faust

Faust,
    Where did you order it or did you go direct? I realized that ordering it on the Woodcut site was having to pay shipping from New Zealand.
    Greg

I ordered from Woodcut. I ordered the drill and another item and the shipping was about $18.00.
    faust

Here is one I made
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Mike,
    I like it very much, looks stout. What brand of forstner bit is that .It looks longer than most.Could you PM me some specifications on OD, length of steps,etc etc. I tryed to drill a piece of ash this morning and the bit drifted off center even though I was spinning at 75 rpm. I think my old "foreign" drill chuck might be failing me, and possibly my drill extension.
    Thanx,Greg