Thread: BlastGate Extensions

BlastGate Extensions

Hey Guys, I wanted to share my custom made blast gate extensions that make operating blast gates much easier.

I have a 2hp Dust collector with a 6"x6"x6" wye that is controlled by two different ready made aluminum blast gates. The challenges with these blast gates:

1) They are located near the ground where my ankles are, not near my hands. This means I would have to bend over or crouch down every time I wanted to engage them.

2) They are held open by tiny threaded black knobs, that are scaled for the hands of Lilliputians, not regular sized humans.

So my solution was to build a blast gate "tower" approximately 5' tall. My shop has limited space, so there is really only one angle from which to comfortably access these gates. I shortened the front extension in order to allow easy access to the back extension. Both gates can be opened and closed by lifting the wooden knobs and then locking them into the wooden peg near the top. I can operate both gates with my right hand without any additional tools.

The wooden knobs on top are connected to the blast gates below, with a spring attached to give a little resistance. I think the photos illustrate the design more thoroughly than I could describe them, so have a look.

I have only used the extensions for about a week, but so far they have worked like clockwork. No more bending down or tightening those dreadful tiny screws!

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7731.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

Blog Entries
    Slick! Love the idea and thanks for posting it. I've got a cheep plastic Y but I'll have to change it out. Should be well worth the effort

That is one great idea Andrew!!! Very Impressive.

You must be reading my mind, as I go through the same dance whenever I open/close the needed gate. My piping is wall-mounted approx. 14" from the floor. So I have to bend over to open/close a gate. I may have to give this idea a serious try-out. Thanks for posting this system.

You can also install the gates so they open horizontally. That way you don't need to mess with the thumb screw, but you still have to get at the gate. I advocate locating the gate where it is convenient to access them.

Clever solution though, looks like you put some thought into it.

Thats a good point about mounting the blast gates horizontally, Michael. It would save you having to deal with the set screws at least.