Thread: Forum Setting Request

Forum Setting Request

Just wondering if I am alone in noticing this.

The current setting for determining whether a thread/forum is considered read or unread is based on the time-out setting of the forum (somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes). When this timeout has been reached, the entire forum gets marked as read. That may not sound like a big deal, except it also removes some of the other features available for opening an unread thread, such as jumping to the newest post.

So for example, if you just started to visit the forum, but something came up and you had to answer an email or browse to another website, when you come back, the entire forum (and all subforums) will be marked as being read, and all unread thread features disabled.

This is controlled by a simple setting in the AdminCP under Settings/General/Thread/Forum Read Marking Type. Right now it is set to "Inactivity", but setting this to "Database (no automatic....)" will correct this without taking a noticeable hit on CPU or database process.

MarkRead1.jpg

MarkRead2.jpg

To minimize any database hit, you could set the Database Read Marking Limit to 1 day or 2 days. When this time period expires, all threads are considered read regardless whether the visitor has been to the forum or not.

MarkRead3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    To minimize any database hit, you could set the Database Read Marking Limit to 1 day or 2 days. When this time period expires, all threads are considered read regardless whether the visitor has been to the forum or not.
    Yes I've noticed it. But if the setting above is the tradeoff, thats a bad tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Yes I've noticed it. But if the setting above is the tradeoff, thats a bad tradeoff.
    I think I misspoke on that. I don't believe it gets cleared if you haven't visited. It gets cleared based on your last visit.

This subject is way over my knowledge level of the software and the impact it may have on our server. I will ask Aaron Koehl to look into this and report back.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I read through every post (well, almost every), so if I'm away for more than a day, I can come back to 8-10+ pages worth of threads to look through. I can easily time out before reading half of those.

When I travel and disappear for a week or two... whew, it can take me half of a day to get caught up :-/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    This subject is way over my knowledge level of the software and the impact it may have on our server. I will ask Aaron Koehl to look into this and report back.
    It shouldn't have any noticeable effect on your server. Most vBulletin forums are running this way ever since the feature was added. I periodically chat with the Admin at the Mike Holt Electrical forum (a very large forum) about mods and settings. They switched the setting shortly after discovering it with no noticeable side effect.

I'd like to see the spellchecker turned on in the forum...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it